General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! DMV Test Friday the 13th

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:42 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP!!! DMV Test Friday the 13th

I have my skills test scheduled with the DMV on Friday the 13th.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I went down there yesterday to practice.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Did not seem to have problem with the narrow straight line&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;or the slalom, but the small diameter cirlce gave me hell.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I had trouble staying in the circle without putting a foot down now and then and I know this is a big no, no.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I noticed that my local HD Dealer rents out the Buell Blast for DMV tests for 50 bucks (3 hours).&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Would you recommend I go this route?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I would be a little nervous trying to test on a bike I have never ridden before.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Don't know if any of you have ridden a Blast before.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:05 AM
MetalStud
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP!!! DMV Test Friday the 13th

why not? just think if you fail? it's Friday the 13th, things could go bad.&nbsp\\; You should have taken the MSF Course

Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 AM
1hd08EGC
Cruiser

I took the MSF (Rider's Edge)&nbsp\\;course on a Buell Blast.&nbsp\\; I handles nicely.&nbsp\\; I also took the DMV test on a Honda 250, that my metric dealer, at the time, allowed guys to "borrow" for the test.&nbsp\\; If you have 3 hours, you could get fairly familiar with the bike and concentrate on practicing the more difficult maneuvers only.&nbsp\\; That's what I did on the Honda...practiced the off-set cone weave and U-Turn until I was comfortable.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Hope this helps.
&nbsp\\;
JRay

Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 AM
travroc
Road Warrior

I am not against taking the MSF, just wanted to try the test before I shell out $250 and 16 hours of my time.&nbsp\\; Besides, no openings for the MSF course here until next month.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Aroberts
Tourer

I would use the bike you are used too and just see if you can pass it. I signed up for the MSF course by missed my date so I was forced to take the skills test about a week before my permit expired. I took my WG to the practice partking lot and spend about 45 min there 4 times and I felt I was ready. One hour before the test I went to the practice lot to get warmed up. I passed with ease and I was pretty funny watching people fail with the 125cc scooter. Try with what you are comfortable on, its only $5 and some time.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:35 AM
MetalStud
Intermediate

so what are you going to do?&nbsp\\; I think all options have been laid out for you,,,except for paying off the DMV agent

Old 06-09-2008, 08:42 AM
travroc
Road Warrior

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]Any CA DMV employees willing to take a bribe?????

Old 06-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I took my DMV test with a Vespa Scooter.&nbsp\\; I was the only person to pass out of 4 that day.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

if I had the choice I would go with the blast
as far as the circle is consereced the only thing I can say is keep your speed up -to slow and yes you will have to put a foot down then you go home
I rode it one sunday on my bike and had touble so traded bikes with my daughter (blast) and had no problems just keep the speed up and you should be ok..

Old 06-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: travroc

I am not against taking the MSF, just wanted to try the test before I shell out $250 and 16 hours of my time.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Besides, no openings for the MSF course here until next month.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
The $250.00 is money well spent IMHO plus you have the added bonus of waiving the DMV test.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! DMV Test Friday the 13th