General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruiser cb radio advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:22 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default cruiser cb radio advice

Hate to do it but I'm going to have to stick one of those ugly J&amp\\;M cb radios on my Heritage for a road trip next month.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Question I have for anyone who knows is what length antenae should I get.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; They come in 1, 2, 3 and&nbsp\\;4ft.&nbsp\\; 3 or 4 ft&nbsp\\;are probably out of the question so&nbsp\\;that narrows it down to 1&nbsp\\;or&nbsp\\;2. &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Is it best to match the antenae with the same brand radio or can I use any cheapo antenae?&nbsp\\; thanks&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 01:29 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: cruiser cb radio advice

Get the best antenna you can afford.&nbsp\\; Also remember that CB radio works by line of sight.&nbsp\\; That means the taller the antenna, the farther you can reach with the radio signal.&nbsp\\; K40 antennas are very, very good and work with a minimal amount of tuning.&nbsp\\; A good Cobra radio with a SWR calibration feature will help also.
&nbsp\\;
Or, you could just get a handheld version, which is easy to store, and hope someone is within earshot if you need it. Then you won't have to worry about tuning the antenna to the radio.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:33 PM
pscheval
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine at a garage sale... $20... plugs into the cigarette lighter&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know a LOT about CB radios, but NOTHING about CBs on motorcycles. What I can tell you, is that 9 times out of ten,&nbsp\\;longer&nbsp\\;is better. It really depends what you plan to do with the radio. If it's going to be just for listening to truckers to get "bear reports" and traffic info, then the antenna isn't as much of concern. If you plan on "jaw jacking" or talking a lot and trying to communicate over any distance, then the antenna is the most important part of the system. The antenna will have to be tuned or matched to the radio, which can be difficult on a motorcycle, because of the limited ground plane (frame). I'm sure it can be done, I just have never tried it. Most antennas are tunable, but like I said, I never had one on a bike, but I can probably help you learn how to tune it. If you get lucky, it will end up being plug and play, and you won't have to mess with it much.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 03:03 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To add to Donny's comments while&nbsp\\;length is important a really good ground to the frame and tuning the anntenna are the real important factors.&nbsp\\; A poor man's tuning tool is to get a buddy who has a CB, have them drive to where they are just breaking up, then try to raise or lower the anntenna mast in the mount while checking to see if the you can hear them better or not.&nbsp\\; Remember, you have to retighten the anntenna each time you&nbsp\\;adjust it.&nbsp\\; Not the most scientific, but it works.
&nbsp\\;
Have fun,&nbsp\\; Harry

Old 07-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Dyna_Soar
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

Get the best antenna you can afford.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Also remember that CB radio works by line of sight.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; That means the taller the antenna, the farther you can reach with the radio signal.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; K40 antennas are very, very good and work with a minimal amount of tuning.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; A good Cobra radio with a SWR calibration feature will help also.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Or, you could just get a handheld version, which is easy to store, and hope someone is within earshot if you need it. Then you won't have to worry about tuning the antenna to the radio.
&nbsp\\;
CB frequencies are definitely NOT line of sight. They are only in the 27 MHz (11 meter) band. You hvae to get a lot higher in frequency to be line of sight.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:18 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

As noted above, if it's just to talk to you column line... size shouldn't matter.... 3 friends use the 4 ft antenna, I use the 2 ft. works just fine. I hear and transmit about 2 miles depending on terrain. And plugging the MP3 into the J&amp\\;M is right handy&nbsp\\; on road trips

Old 07-02-2008, 04:17 PM
nomoore
Advanced

If you plan on talking, ever, get the best antenna you can afford for it. Then get someone with LOTS of CB experience (professional perhaps?) to tune it for the lowest SWR. Ask around at a truck stop for the best person locally to tune it. If the antenna is too far out of tune when you try to talk you risk frying the radio. The better tuned the antenna is the farther you can talk. All legal CB radios out there put out very near the same amount of power. The more expensive ones just have more features, slightly better sound quality (although much of that is the mike), and side band channels.

Also, I've never put a CB on a bike but you might have to get an antenna designed for marine use since those antennas don't require a ground plane. A regular antenna won't tune up right without a good ground plane (lots of metal around it to ground to) I'm not sure if they make them specifically for bikes. I can't say I remember ever seeing them in the CB catalogs.

One more thing, I know some people use non-resistor spark plugs on their bikes. These will cause LOTS of noise on the radio. Use only resistor type spark plugs.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:29 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the setup I'm getting:
http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=24
&nbsp\\;
It's main purpose will to keep in touch with other riders in the group.&nbsp\\; But it will also serve as an intercom when I'm riding two up with the wife.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Plus I think I can plug my ipod into it.&nbsp\\; JM makes it's own antennae which attach to the license plate and I still don't know how thats going to work on my lay down plate and tour pak.&nbsp\\; Might have to improvise some other fix.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;I'm totally cb ignorant but&nbsp\\;it seems the antenae would&nbsp\\;already&nbsp\\;be tuned for the radio?.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I'll probably go with the 2ft one.&nbsp\\; Seems a good compromise between the 4ft whip and the 1ft stubby.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 04:47 PM
nomoore
Advanced

It's actually not so much a matter of tuning to the radio as it is tuning to the vehicle the antenna is on. The radio only has a mild effect. For peace of mind for the equipment I would still have someone check the SWRs on the antenna. It really doesn't take much to check. You might even find someone to check for free. They will need an SWR meter. And then if it is badly out of tune see about getting someone to tune it. You want your SWR to be less than 2.5 but the lower the better. Have it checked on the highest and the lowest channel. If it is higher than 2.5 on either channel then tuning is really imprtant so you don't decrease the longevity of your radio.

Quick Reply: cruiser cb radio advice