General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who changes there own tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:56 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default who changes there own tires

just learned how too my nieghbor taught me. we changed out the tube first one got pinched so had to get another one. Ill never pay a dealer again it takes all of 20 min. I wont mind taking it in just for a balancing though. even though if i had a solid rim i wouldnt need too right? just wondering who else does this?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just started changing my own tires. So far I've only done a front, but my back will be changed soon, not to mention both of the tires on my wife's bike.

As for the balancing, I do my own there too now. I bought one from Marc Parnes, http://www.marcparnes.com/.

It works great on a couple of jack stands.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:06 PM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do run a small part time shop..I do mine, my wifes and anybody that shows up needing it done..

Old 08-11-2008, 01:11 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I just changed the rear tire on the Ultra yesterday and the whole job took 2.5 hours including removing both muflers. Why pay the dealer to do such a simple job????

Old 08-11-2008, 01:14 PM
CaptnAl
Road Captain
Default balancing

There is a tool that has 2 cones that fit in your bearings and you sit the shaft on two jackstands. you spin the tire and the heavy point goes to the ground add weight on the opposite side and repeat until it dosn't have a heavy side.

Did this for may back tire and no problems. I think this was shown on the forum a few years back it was like $40. well worth it if you are doing your own work.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM
White-Trash
Tourer

Ok.....who's going to post the how-to?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Kolbster
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my back tire. Used one of those marc parnes balancers. But have buddies who have been riding for 40 years that change their own tires and never balance them.

After the tire was off I use my 7 in bench vise to break the bead. Just have to be careful of the rim. I use tire irons but have used screw drivers on tires. Have to be careful of the tube when using screwdrivers though.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have changed about 4 sets and I've never had to re-balance any of them. Just make sure the yellow dot (the light spot) is aligned with the valve stem. As far as posting the how-to, just do a forum search.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:45 PM
LUBA
Cruiser

As far as balancing goes, couldn't a guy just add those balancing beads? I believe it is called equal or something like that.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:40 PM
palerider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hdpearson13
just learned how too my nieghbor taught me. we changed out the tube first one got pinched so had to get another one. Ill never pay a dealer again it takes all of 20 min. I wont mind taking it in just for a balancing though. even though if i had a solid rim i wouldnt need too right? just wondering who else does this?
A good tip for not pinching the tube is when mounting a new tire inflate the tube little first. After getting the first side of the tire on the rim, insert the tube and then add just enough air to give the tube shape. It keeps the tube from flopping around and getting between the rim and your tire spoon.

Quick Reply: who changes there own tires