General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Syn3

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:16 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched to Mobil 1 but in the real world I doubt there's any difference from Syn 3 under normal use. If they were out of Mobil 1 I'd have no problem using Syn 3.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:16 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by barjbar
I switched to Mobil 1 but in the real world I doubt there's any difference from Syn 3 under normal use. If they were out of Mobil 1 I'd have no problem using Syn 3.
I have more confidence in using Mobil-1 simply because they have been making synthetics oils since 1970.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:41 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a lot of the bias against Syn3 is because it's from Citgo. ie: Ceasar Chaves, not because of the quality of the oil itself.

Not saying that that's a bad thing, mind you!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

A topic of debate for sure! I've also heard Syn 3 was only 60% Syn, so it's called Syn. I'm dumping it next change for Mobil 1 V Twin!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Damn! I didn't know citgo made the syn 3. I will change to Amsoil immediately.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:54 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by jbphoto
I think a lot of the bias against Syn3 is because it's from Citgo. ie: Ceasar Chaves, not because of the quality of the oil itself.

Not saying that that's a bad thing, mind you!
Me thinks you have your Chavez's confused.

Hugo Chavez is the current President of Venezuela.

Cesar Chavez was a Mexican-American farm worker, who co-founded the National Farm Workers Association

Lesson Over

Old 09-18-2008, 06:16 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
A topic of debate for sure! I've also heard Syn 3 was only 60% Syn, so it's called Syn. I'm dumping it next change for Mobil 1 V Twin!
If you clicked the link in the 3rd post you'd see that it is not a blend. It is a full synthetic motor oil.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:32 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pococj
If you clicked the link in the 3rd post you'd see that it is not a blend. It is a full synthetic motor oil.
I did.

That is not published by the MoCo, but by Rocky Mountain HD. Just because someone finds info on the WWW, doesn't make it fact. I'm not trying to create a fight here, but I will try to find more factual related info on this and post results. Has anyone noticed, HD doesn't divulge much if any info to the consumer? Look at your HD oil bottle, they do not have/show API ratings. If you ask a dealer a technical question, they or the service department can't really answer, as they don't know themselves. HD is a Top Secret Company that holds their cards close to the vest, LOL. They want you to believe only their product will work in their product, so they can tap into your wallet.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:40 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's an Amsoil Test. Yeah, I know!

Like I said, it's difficult at best finding factual anything, about HD!

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...idson-oil.html

http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/sh.../t-113159.html

Last edited by BlockHead96; 09-18-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fastbagger
I know this has been asked 10,000 times. I don't feel like searching all day for an answer. Is SYN3 a full synthetic or a mix? I asked 2 people at my local dealer and one said it was full and the other said it was a semi??? Thanks.

To answer the OP's question, according to the "Material Safety Data Sheet" for H-D's SYN3 it is chemically a blend of 60% synthetic and 40% petroleum oils.
But, the chemical composition notwithstanding, the courts have ruled that it is legal for them to advertise their "60/40 blend" as a "synthetic" motor oil.

Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on the SYN-3, as filed with the Federal Government.
Manufactured by Citgo Petroleum.
Composition section:

Component
CAS #
Concentration

(1) 1-Decene Homopolymer, hydrogenated
68037-01-4
50% - 70%

(2) Proprietary Ingredients
Proprietary Mixture
1% - 10%

(3) Polyisobutylene
9003-27-4
1% - 10%

(4) Distillates, Petroleum, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic
64742-54-7
0% - 20%

(5) Distillates, Petroleum, Solvent-Refined Heavy Paraffinic
64741-88-4
0% - 20%

(6) Zinc Alkyldithiophosphate
68649-42-3
0% - 2%

Item (1) is a Group IV base oil. unable to locate the manufacturer of this base oil. Group IV and V base oils are the only "true" synthetics to the cognoscenti.

Item (2) is probably their additive package (boron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, moly), but it is conceivable there could also be some "secret" synthetic oil, maybe an ester type oil, included in it.

Item (3) is a fancy name for synthetic rubber (or elastomer) but this is probably considered to be "synthetic" oil as well.

However, Item (4) is a Group II base oil, namely Conoco Pure Performance Base Oil, either 110N, 225N or 600N. no one is calling a Group II oil a synthetic.

No information on the group number of Item (5) but it is Conoco's Cit-Con 650N Base Oil. It's presumed that it is a Group I oil as it is solvent refined. Most quality blenders are not using Group I oils in their premium motor oils and they are not considered synthetics.

(From the MSDS for the HD 360 20w50 oil: The major base oil constituents in it are the same ones as are listed in Items (4) & (5) above.)

I think the Items (4) & (5) above, are to keep the old air-heads running without bearing skid and gasket leaks. Good for them, but not for us?

Harley-Davidson talks about SYN3 in their advertising as:
"Developed with a proprietary blend of three synthetic basestocks, ..."

Or not!?!

Since there are significant amounts of Group I and II oils in the SYN3, could the MoCo have stretched the definition of "synthetic" a bit further than Castrol did when changing Syntec from a PAO Group IV base to a hydrocracked Group III base?

Exxon/Mobil (Mobil 1 synthetic) lost a lawsuit trying to go after a few oil companies for advertising blends as full synthetic. Mobil lost, and now the oil companies do not have to disclose on the label it contains Group I, II or III base stocks which are all petroleum based.

So it is legal for Harley to market syn3 as a full synthetic, even though it is only 60% synthetic and the rest petroleum based.

If you want fully synthetic. Buy Mobil 1, RedLine or Amsoil, although Amsoil always seemed a little too "snake oil" for me.

Last edited by Bob; 09-18-2008 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Syn3