General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use a 2 amp charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 AM
hansob1
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use a 2 amp charger?

Can I use a battery charger with a 2 amp setting as a trickle charger during winter storage?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Does it have auto shut off?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:42 AM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

I wouldn't. Unless it has a auto shut down or float when fully charged, it will cook the battery. The cheapest float charges I have seen are the Black&Decker from WalMart. I think there like 30-35 bucks. Comes with the plug to hook to battery and you will be set.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a project car in my garage for several years and it would sit for months, without being started. I took a bulb out of the light on my garage door opener, screwed a deal into the socket that had a place to plug a cord in and also a light bulb. Then I plugged my battery charger into it and attached it to my project car. Every time I operated the garage door the battery in the project car would get a short charge. I would open and close the garage door at least 3 times a day. Each time it opened or closed, the light stayed on for 5 minutes, so I know I was putting at least a 15 minute charge into the battery , every day.
Tom

Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned

I would not as you will risk damaging your battery, tenders are not expensive and well worth the investment.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IF you have a 2 amp charger with auto charge, you will NOT experience any bad side effects. NOTE: I specifically said AUTOMATIC CHARGE, as in it will throttle down and STOP charging, when batt reaches charged status. There are a TON of 2 amp MANUAL chargers out there in the market place, FEW autos worth a chit. Put a 2 amp MANUAL charger on and walk away, keep on walking to the potts store, cause you're buying a new batt to replace the one you jus' cooked to toast.
The ONLY diff between a 2 amp AUTO and a tender, the tender only puts out about .75 amps(some are .5) vs 2 amps. That's at FULL throttle. As the batt charges, they both will throttle down and eventually stop charging.

IF you happen to be one of those 'wackos' that has 3 or 4 scooters that you put into cold storage for a Mn Winter, you can also take 3 or 4 batts, hook ALL the +'s in series, then ALL the -'s likewise. Hook your 2 amp AUTOMATIC !!!!!!! or your batt tender to one of the batts, they are now ALL tricklecharged.

If you happen to be still running lead acid batts vs glass matt, I will occassionally hook a 12v trouble light to the batt. Pull it down quite aways, but not completely dead. Then put it back on 1 amp or less trickle charge. WHY? Something I learned in the Navy, cycle the batts, they won't sulfate so bad on the plates. Does it work? Elephino, but it makes me feel better inside, and helps KILL some winter downtime in the "Men's Crisis Center" when work is slow.

If not sealed batt, KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR WATER, fill with distilled water. I happen to use an old cow hypodermic needle to add water. (I used to SHOOT UP big time )
You non-leaking, belt drive, auto trans, electric start, sealed batt guys, disregard that last info.