General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle Beach

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:56 AM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Myrtle Beach

Sounds like South Carolina misses the Biker money.

January 20, 2009

Myrtle Beach, SC - Area dealers want bikers to know that although the City of Myrtle Beach, S.C., has passed some laws designed to discourage bikers from attending the 69th Annual Spring Bike Week, May 8-17, the popular event is still on. From Murrells Inlet to Little River, other communities within Myrtle Beach’s home county of Horry are gearing up to welcome bikers.
The majority of the events for Bike Week will take place in Horry County, outside of the Myrtle Beach City limits. Newly-passed Myrtle Beach rules and regulations WILL NOT affect bikers who visit or impact any of those activities and events.

“Many tourists wrongly believe that Myrtle Beach is synonymous with the 60-mile-long ‘Grand Strand’ that is visited by more than 14 million tourists annually,” said Mike Shank, marketing director for an area motorcycle dealership. “In reality, the City of Myrtle Beach is just a small town inside of Horry County. It only has 25,000 residents. To the north, south and west of Myrtle Beach is the much-larger Grand Strand community where there are many restaurants, bars, recreational facilities and accommodations. Horry County has more than 250,000 residents and they are preparing their businesses to welcome bikers.

“Unfortunately, information being sent out by Myrtle Beach and its Chamber of Commerce paints good, law-abiding motorcycle riders with the same broad brush as those who have broken laws in the past. In addition, their misinformation does not accurately portray the views of Horry County residents. The majority of people and businesses look forward to biker tourism and many rely on Bike Week to provide a significant portion of their yearly income.”

The City of Myrtle Beach and the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce have initiated an aggressive media campaign that gives the erroneous impression that new laws the city recently passed apply county-wide. However, those laws, which have reportedly been passed to discourage bikers from attending rallies in the area, apply only to the areas within the city limits of Myrtle Beach — not throughout the Grand Strand and Horry County.

“Awareness of the new laws will ensure that bikers who plan to come to the Grand Strand have nothing to worry about,” said Shank. “There will be plenty of activities and places to congregate outside of the city limits and throughout Horry County. It’s unfortunate that the City of Myrtle Beach and the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce don’t want biker business in May; but we hope bikers understand that many businesses both within the City and throughout Horry County look forward to bike week during the month of May. As long as you obey the laws and respect our community, you’ll always be welcomed by the citizens of Horry County.”

For the facts, Shank directs bikers to www.mbbikeweeks.com. At that site, bikers can find information about the difference between Horry County and the City of Myrtle Beach, including maps, alternative routes that avoid the city limits, the new City of Myrtle Beach laws, and regular updates.

“We want bikers to know the facts so they can make an informed decision about visiting our area,” adds Shank. “Grand Strand businesses want your business. The City of Myrtle Beach has never played a significant role in either the spring or fall bike weeks and has made it clear for many years that it doesn’t want to play a role. They’ve raised taxes to eliminate biker tourism, but no other municipality in Horry County has done so. And the City of Myrtle Beach passed new ordinances designed to scare bikers away. No other local municipality or the county has done so. So we hope that bikers won’t be discouraged by this campaign of misinformation. We want you to come to Horry County and have a great time this May.”

Old 01-29-2009, 01:03 PM
DvlDog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm going to do this year. Most of the places I normally hang out (HB Spokes, SBB ect) are well outsidethe town of Myrtle Beach. My first inclination is to say P*SS on Myrtle Beach. However, these other places aren't part of the city and have no control over the boneheads on the city council. What are other folks doing?

Old 01-29-2009, 03:18 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

There hasn't been a MBBW inside the city limits for years.... but the city has been spreading the word far and wide, about how Myrtle Beach (city) is against the bike crowd... Nothing in the world would tickle me more, if every bike along the east coast, would ride up the the MB city limits, and then turn around, and spend money is NORTH Myrtle, or Murrels Inlet... or anywhere BUT myrtle beach itself

Old 01-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, but drive down 17 and wait to be pulled over for excessive noise, etc. You know they'll be there and waiting, in force. They can KMA!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:40 PM
trapperdick
Intermediate

I wouldn't go near Myrtle Beach noe if they paid me...........let them lose the $$$,,,,they'll be begging for bike week. Screw em'.......

Old 01-29-2009, 04:24 PM
NAMVET
Tourer

Originally Posted by DvlDog
Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm going to do this year. Most of the places I normally hang out (HB Spokes, SBB ect) are well outsidethe town of Myrtle Beach. My first inclination is to say P*SS on Myrtle Beach. However, these other places aren't part of the city and have no control over the boneheads on the city council. What are other folks doing?
Ah yes HB Spokes.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:29 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what...??? no more waving???

Old 01-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Cakalac
Tourer

I have reservations in Lakewood from the 15th-17th and will be there. I live 2.5 hrs. away so I'm going to go for something to do and see what it's all about. I just got my bike so I'm looking forward to my first Bike Week. It may not be 200K there but 90K will be ok with me. I won't know the difference because i have never been.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:42 PM
GROWLNTA
Cruiser

I know a TON of people going to the 10th Smokeout in Rockingham NC HUGE RALLY!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Cakalac
Tourer

Originally Posted by GROWLNTA
I know a TON of people going to the 10th Smokeout in Rockingham NC HUGE RALLY!
Haven't heard about this one. Tell me more

Quick Reply: Myrtle Beach