General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I 77 in W.V.?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:33 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I 77 in W.V.?

Any rider's in W.V. have problems riding I 77 between Beckley and Charleston with the big groves cut in the road? I have a Fxst, been thinking of riding it up to my daughters wedding in June. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:45 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Them grooves kinda suck with a 21 front. Turnpike traffic can be crazy. Better route is US 19 to US 60 from Beckley to Chas. If you like curves and mountains that is

Old 02-17-2009, 09:03 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been through Beckley on 77 many times. I am much more concerned with the Deer at dusk. They stand on the side of 77 in herds. Just get there well before dark.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,752 Likes on 6,896 Posts

I took that route up and back from NC to San Dusky Bay in October and did not have any trouble at all. The biggest problem for me was stopping at the toll booths. You have to watch for oil, then put the bike in neutral, take off your glove, upzip the jacket pocket get the money out, ask the lady why you pay as much for a motorcycle as a car (# of axles?), put your glove back on, put it in gear and lay on the gas to pass all the cars that got ahead of you. And you get to do this three times each way.

No the grooves were not an issue at all for my stock SG.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 PM
HDDYNA
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go a different way almost got hit a few times down there it sucks

Old 02-17-2009, 11:05 PM
chister
Novice

I rode the turnpike from the Ohio border through Wytheville and back last summer. The worst part for me and my Sporty wasn't the grooves, it was the traffic, and specifically the truck traffic. I don't even remember the grooves, but I do remember discovering the truth of my brother's admonition not to pass any truck near the crest of a hill. They may only be doing 50 miles per hour on the way up, but they are going 80 on the way down and they will fill your mirrors in a hurry. And with all the other traffic the only things keeping you from becoming a grille ornament are the truck's brakes, which if you research drum brake fade in semi tractor trailers will not make you feel very confident.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:26 AM
mtlakehog
Tourer

Originally Posted by DuraGlide
Them grooves kinda suck with a 21 front. Turnpike traffic can be crazy. Better route is US 19 to US 60 from Beckley to Chas. If you like curves and mountains that is
+1 if you're on a bike, a lot better than the Turnpike.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,752 Likes on 6,896 Posts

Originally Posted by mtlakehog
+1 if you're on a bike, a lot better than the Turnpike.
Well thanks for that suggestion. I will be ridng up that way again this summer and will try this out.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:01 PM
2kanzam
Tourer

Originally Posted by DuraGlide
Yeah taking 19 to 60 definitely is the way for fun riding, but involved enough so as to where you have to stop to enjoy the scenery. I suggest turning onto 16W at Fayetteville to connect with 60 instead of following 19 all the way to 60. It bypasses Summersville which is a huge speed trap AND it bypasses the boring parts of 19 and 60. However if you wanna see the New River Gorge bridge it is only a mile or two right up the road past the 16 exit....then you can turn back around. OH and "Pies and Pints" in Fayetteville is a great place for good food and a good beer.

16 through Cottonhill is a ton of fun and beautiful. It puts ya right at the beginning of the fun part to 60 also. (There is a sweet little bar at the 16/60 intersection "Chimney Corner") (1.75 hours, Beckley to Charleston)

OR you could take Harpers road (Rt.3) at Beckley (Exit 42ish?) west all the way to 99, then 85 to 119.... fun and pretty scenic for the first 2 hours but a little more laid back than above (2.5 hours, , Beckley to Charleston)

Finally if you want alittle more laid back way, take 3 to Glen Daniel and all the way north (Still 3) to 94 then 61/ MacCorkle Ave. Still a pretty good ride, not nearly as hilly and curvy, but nice. (2.5 hours total, , Beckley to Charleston)

These are several of my round-trip day trips from Charleston.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:42 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks all for your help.

Quick Reply: I 77 in W.V.?