General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Reman Program?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 AM
MNHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Reman Program?

Has anyone here done the engine Remanufacturing program? How was the process what was the final cost was it worth it? How long did it take? How many miles were on your engine? My 2001 EGlide is about to turn 70,000 miles so I dont need it right now but not too far off if I ceep my current bike. Thanks for any info.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Road Head
Road Master

Came up with this on a quick google search

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US

Old 03-27-2009, 11:10 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd think you'd be better off to just do a rebuild yourself and make the motor as big as you'd like at the time. Would probably be much cheaper too.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:38 AM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering the time (labor) and parts it is cheaper to do the H-D reman. program, and you will recieve a motor that appears brand new. The only downside to the whole deal is if you planned on doing some performance upgrades, the remans come stone bone stock.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
BK Meyers
Cruiser
Default re-man

I checked in to this before redoing the engine in my '97 Heritage. If I remember correctly it was $2400-$2500 for a complete STOCK rebuilt engine, not including labor and freight costs.

The previous owner had apparently been pretty hard on it as it needed everything.

I had the local independent shop go thru mine. Split the cases, balanced the rotating assembly, new jugs, new Wiseco 10:1 pistons with rings, new Andrews EV-27 cam, new single-fire ignition and coil, mildly ported heads, new rods, bearings, gaskets, labor, etc. Total bill was under $2500 and that included labor and some other extra parts (chrome and stuff) that were on the same bill. I got the engine I wanted with the modifications I wanted for less than what Harley is getting for a stock rebuild.

The new engine runs strong and feels good. I've only been able to get about 200 miles on it up to now due to the weather we've been having. It's had it's first oil change at 100 miles and the next one will be after 500 more miles. For me the local rebuild was a much better deal than the rebuild thru Harley.

Later,
BK

Old 03-27-2009, 12:30 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Just depends who's doing the rebuild,if they have a known good rep,well maybe,at least with Harley you about know what you will have and warranty incase the human factor creeps up.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I actually had Harley do the reman deal on my evo. It had 49,940 miles on it when it ate lifter wheel bearings. was knocking ,growling, and grinding. After I had it done and was digesting what it cost almost $4k with all the incidentals and might as well parts, I could have bought an aftermarket motor with more power, and a longer warranty. the Harley warranty is only one year. You can finance it thru Harley, but the want to hold your title.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:55 PM
AnyTime
Advanced

Oh yeah... talk about a DEAL!? The local Harley dealer offered a great winter deal -- 20% off all parts and labor. The reman' would cost $2,080... give or take a few bills. Installed!! It was my old stock 1993 E-Glide that "AnyRoad" David got from me. The bike had almost 140,000 miles. We thought... what the heck...let's do it. That was 8 (yes, I said EIGHT) weeks ago! There were some small things that were done. A new SE3 cam, new cam bearings (don't trust the ones from the factory), and had the heads shaved.030". Nothing major, here. Get it back, and the rocker boxes would NOT stop leaking. They replaced the new spacers and bead-blasted the surface that the gasket rides in, to roughen up the chrome. They also dimpled the surface with a punch for added grip for the gasket. So far so good... unless you want to talk about the loss of virtually all mid-range power. Hopefully, that gets fixed today or tomorrow. The dyno-test should tell all.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

http://www.wvharley.com/ advertises in Easyriders mag. New HD crate engines *starting* at $2650. Not sure if that's a Big Twin, or maybe an 883...

Old 03-27-2009, 05:07 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With that mileage I'm not sure why you just don't do the top end....Put some money into headwork, and enjoy that seat of the pants feel.

Respects,
Ed

Quick Reply: Engine Reman Program?