General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricing/dealing on new bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:18 AM
hcmiller92
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pricing/dealing on new bikes

I recently bought a gorgeous 1997 Ultra Classic with 18,000 miles. In the 2,000 miles I've ridden it over the past two months, the bike has been back in the shop four times. The biggest problem is that the bike dies, of what appears to be fuel starvation, during a long trip and usually when the tank has about a gallon of fuel left in it. I'm frustrated, and so is my dealer, because they can't replicate the problem with a 30 minute ride (on a few occasions now) and even though the engine light comes on, it doesn't dump a fault code to the eprom for future reference.

Well, the problem is that I don't want to have a bike that isn't reliable and might leave me stranded in a Kansas cornfield in the middle of an August lightning storm. Just don't need that concern weighing on me on one of my cross-country trips. When I left the bike on Monday, my last words were to show me the defective part and say "ah ha, here's the culprit." As of yesterday, they are still totally stumped, even with contact with Harley tech in Milwaukee. I told the sales manager that without a clear fix, I wanted to trade the bike for a new one. The owner jumped in to the discussion yesterday and told the sales manager to "take care" of me.

Well, we sat down to haggle. I settled in on a new Road Glide Classic with anti-lock brakes and security, either '08 or '09. My logic was that the '08 should be SERIOUSLY discounted because the '09 has such a dramatically improved frame. We settled on a trade value of $11,000 for my bike (I paid $12,000 in December). The numbers coming back on the new bikes were scary.

For an '08 RKC with ABS and security, twotone, he was quoting me a difference of $10,700, or $21,700 (yes $21,700 and Harley shows $19,800 before ship and setup) for the bike. That's almost $2,000 more than listed on Harley's website. I realize there's $1,000 in shipping and setup but I don't get the price he's giving me on this bike. He was quoting me silly $$$ on '06s and '07s as well, giving me differences of $11,000 on used bikes! Yikes.

Needless to say, negotiations broke down (well, they didn't even start). I felt we were thousands apart so there was no sense even attempting to bargain with him. When I got home, I went to eBay to check "buy now" prices on bikes like I was looking at and saw that my expectations were in line.

Can someone give me a reality check on what to expect from a dealer in terms of pricing and why are '08 leftovers still being offered at near '09 prices in spite of huge - and very positive - changes to the bikes chassis? I'm really sorry I broached the subject with him about a trade because I don't want to alienate myself from a very good dealer, but I also don't want to spend thousands more than a fair price. I guess I need to know what's a fair price. That's where he and I differ. This is a rotten economy and he wants more than retail on a one year-old leftover!

Thanks,
Curt

Last edited by hcmiller92; 04-16-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Bandit111
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Buddy !!!! What would you do if you were the dealer ...? Take your bike on trade , give ya a good deal and then sink how many man hours in to a bike that you know has problems ...?? Plus a bike that you didn't purchase from him in the first place ..??? You might want to re think this ...??? Your lucky that he even would offer you a trade in price . Take the deal and run !!!!!

That is before you leave the pile on the side of the road and start walking home !!!

Bandit

Old 04-16-2009, 10:35 AM
KenBeckett
Novice
Default Price$$$

My Wife just bought an 08 Classic 883 for $7999.00
(will be able to trade it next year for about $1200.00 more then she paid)
I think MFG is around $8900

Last edited by KenBeckett; 04-16-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: TYpo
Old 04-16-2009, 10:55 AM
hcmiller92
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bandit111
Hey Buddy !!!! What would you do if you were the dealer ...? Take your bike on trade , give ya a good deal and then sink how many man hours in to a bike that you know has problems ...?? Plus a bike that you didn't purchase from him in the first place ..??? You might want to re think this ...??? Your lucky that he even would offer you a trade in price . Take the deal and run !!!!!

That is before you leave the pile on the side of the road and start walking home !!!

Bandit
Sorry, my mistake. He is the dealer who sold me this bike and is fixing it under their warrantee. The $11,000 trade price we agreed on is $2,000 less than I paid him for the bike less than 1,000 miles before the problem started.

I'm in finance for 25 years now and understand and am sympathetic with all the factors of the transaction. I'm just not accustomed to paying above retail on old merchandise and the availability of an '08 leftover is prima facie evidence that supply and demand of the current economy doesn't agree with him either.

Curt

Old 04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Bandit111
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by hcmiller92
Sorry, my mistake. He is the dealer who sold me this bike and is fixing it under their warrantee. The $11,000 trade price we agreed on is $2,000 less than I paid him for the bike less than 1,000 miles before the problem started.

I'm in finance for 25 years now and understand and am sympathetic with all the factors of the transaction. I'm just not accustomed to paying above retail on old merchandise and the availability of an '08 leftover is prima facie evidence that supply and demand of the current economy doesn't agree with him either.

Curt
Well that is a hole new ball game !!!!! Looks like he wants to make $$$$ on both ends of the deal !!! Might want to find a new dealer !!!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:19 AM
hcmiller92
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bandit111
Well that is a hole new ball game !!!!! Looks like he wants to make $$$$ on both ends of the deal !!! Might want to find a new dealer !!!
I expect to lose some money and think that's fair enough. My dealer is a great guy and very well respected. I believe he's earned my business. I just can't get with the $1,000 above last year's retail. If that's the market, then that's the market, and I'm part of the great unwashed who don't know what these bikes do sell for.

Curt

Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In SE Michigan, with the economy being what it is, a little diligence should get you about anything Harley makes OTD for no more than a few hundred (like as in $500) more than MSRP and a bit more diligence should get the bike for substantially less. Therefore, RKC as spec'ed would be about $20,300 OTD. Standard prep charges locally run $300 some places and $900+ at others and is at dealer discretion anyway. I'm ten years out of date as to dealer allotments and how they work now, but I assume some dealers sell all they can get and others get all they can sell. Find the later and do business there. Incidently, at the price you were quoted, the dealer isn't seriously gouging you after you add in sales tax, shipping and even minimal prep but they do have some room to move.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Monochrome
Road Captain

Do some forum searches you should find plenty on deals and prices.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:10 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

Curt.
It wouldn't hurt you to check around with other dealers, and see what other LOCAL dealers are doing (price-wise).
Logically, I agree with you, a 2008 motorcycle is a YEAR OLD model and SHOULD be discounted. You may find there is a great deal of price difference between dealerships. Strike your best bargin, and bring it to your friend, and let him match it.

Frankly, if I'm paying close to a 2009's price. for a 2008 motorcycle, I see no point in buying the older model.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...ale=en_US&dwp=

2008 Road King Classic $17,945 MSRP 2 tone paint $18,525 (security$345 ABS $795 Frieght $345 so, that's $20,010 + Tax + Title + doc fees.
Going by THAT page... there's just a $100 difference between a 2008 and a 2009.

I can't tell you what business is like in Massachuttes, but here in Raleigh NC, I can reach 3 dealerships within 1 hour.
Dealership A sells 2008 @ MSRP
Dealership B sells 2008 @ MSRP (with a sign "less $750 rebate)
Dealership C sells 2008 @ MSRP( same sign for rebate PLUS $1000 dealership credit)

I believe it's worth shopping around.
Frank

PS. and before you ask... I have NO idea about the "rebate" or whether that is still in effect, but worth asking YOUR dealership.

For grins I went to NADA to look up the price of a 1997 Harley Davidson Ultra Average retail (according to them) is $9200 so, THAT might effect your feelings
http://www.nadaguides.com/ Of course that is just a guideline, and may not reflect actuall selling prices in YOUR area

Old 04-16-2009, 01:35 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Personally the situation is you bought a Bike that appears to be tainted. I would want full credit torwards the purchase of a new bike. Relative to supply and demand that dynamic in some cases does not correlate to the Harley Davidson bikes. Even in a bad market their products carry a very high intrinsic value. And no matter what some one will buy the 08.

Quick Reply: Pricing/dealing on new bikes