General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike overheated; embarrasing

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:02 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Bike overheated; embarrasing

On vacation in Miami with a bunch of guys in my club and my bike overheated in traffic. She wouldn't start up until in cooled down. Took about 15 minutes. Embarrasing cause I'm the only one on a Harley, and the only one who overheated. To be fair, we were in bumper to bumper traffic for about an hour in the Florida heat, so it's not the bike's fault. Wondering if the 2014 or 2015s with the liquid cooled heads would still have this problem? Don't want this to happen again.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:10 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Buy a set of parade fans. They are supposed to work very well. Jims and wards are two that make them. Way cheaper than a new wethead.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Baird
Road Master
Received 1,061 Likes on 436 Posts

when riding a harley (or any other air cooled) do not idle, move slow for prolonged periods, walk it. kind of goofy but rebuilding an overheated engine is expensive

Old 06-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

How do you know the things is overheating? I ride in 100 degree weather all the time. On the open road, no problem I suppose, but going through in town traffic the ETMS or whatever that thing is always comes on at a light. I assume, it is managing the temperature fine. But how do you know? Its not like we have a water coolant temp gauge.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:28 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,646 Likes on 4,633 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibfuelish
How do you know the things is overheating? I ride in 100 degree weather all the time. On the open road, no problem I suppose, but going through in town traffic the ETMS or whatever that thing is always comes on at a light. I assume, it is managing the temperature fine. But how do you know? Its not like we have a water coolant temp gauge.
an Oil temp gauge is available, I have one. I usually don't recommend them, as if you really see just how hot the oil is, it is quite possible for you to have a serious heart attack!!! And you will not stop worrying about oil boiling within your cases!! there are things you can do. The fans by wards work excellent, and are highly reviewed. tuning your bike via dyno or some other quality tuner (power vision, ect) also helps greatly. oil coolers, so many things, or a collection of some or all.
just because the cylinder shut off engages, it does not mean it is "managing" the heat. It is doing all it can to try to keep the heat down, but only can maintain a minimum engine temp by doing that, the max engine temp can get quite a bit hotter!

Last edited by harleycharlie1992; 06-02-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:34 PM
glide5904
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A riding buddy of mine toasted his Road King in a 100 degree traffic jam.
It can happen.
Too much idling not enough moving..

Old 06-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

something wrong with the bike.
It should have gone into parade mode.

I live in south Florida and have never had an issue.

Bike Week can be very hot in Daytona and you can be basically stopped in traffic for an hour doing Main Street and the bike never overheated.

(I'm guessing you were on A1A down by the Grove just south of Miami proper. Am I right)

Last edited by Jonesee; 06-02-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

I've gotten my bike hot quite a few times but never to the point of stalling.

How's your bike running now?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:42 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,646 Likes on 4,633 Posts

the othr thing that could have happened is the crank sensor got so hot hat it went to open, (No resistance in windings) Merceds crank sensors do this all the time, leave a fault code, we replace them because they are junk in the first place, harley ones aren't all that much better, but hot is hot, no matter what, but might want to run a scan to see if there is a code for the crank sensor

Old 06-02-2015, 08:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibfuelish
Bike overheats you'll know it they start acting real ignorant , sputtering, stalling and making noises an air cooled engine never should. Dealt with a number of fried harley engines back in my midwest days, worse case is pistons start to seize then let go and skirts break and you throw a rod. What usually happens is scores hell of the cylinders walls and the piston slap starts, weakens rings were they won't seal and valve guides gall up, seen more than a few get so bad the guides break loose in the heads.

This was all shovel's & evo's which run cooler than these new big inch ball cookers you guys ride.

Quick Reply: Bike overheated; embarrasing