General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Denim Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 PM
worrdogg
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Black Denim Paint Question

Thought of getting a Night Train in Black Denim but heard that the Black Denim paint will stain easily with oils from your hands. Is this true? Also being that it does not have a clear coat that it will scratch very easily and almost impossible to cover up with touch up paint even if you get a hold of some Black Denim paint? Did the salesperson just tell me that because they only had a Night Train in Vivid Black in stock?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:37 AM
05Fatty
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The black denim does NOT stain from your hands. As a matter of experience, the denim paint is more durable than gloss. Most light scuffs can be wiped off with windex. The touch up on the other hand is slightly different than gloss. If you finess it, it will cover fiine.

I call BS.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:40 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have blue denim paint on my street bob. It does not stain from oils and is very easy to clean. In my opinion it is easier to scratch, but for whatever reason I do not think the scratches are as obvious as they are on a gloss finish. I ride a lot and carry odd things so I have some scratches but I have not tried to buff them out or touch them up. I bought the bike to ride and I really do not stress about a scratch here or there.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:46 AM
Hammer107
Road Master

Black Denim here....the salesman is either a liar or ignorant of the subject he is trying to sell.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, sounds like HE wants you to buy something else. He's too lazy to offer to find you what you want.

Last edited by Ratster; 05-14-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 PM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Black Denim Iron here, I find the paint does show fingerprints (oils in the skin)and any drops such as rain or fuel will remain but just a little Windex and she's dark as new again with no "permanent" stains. As for scratches I can see where it would be harder to blend as for glossy paint you paint and rub/polish till it matches. With the Denim paint you really can't do that if you want to keep the satin look. A friend of mine has a Denim Black Fat Bob and where his legs rub the tank it has "buffed" the paint to where he has a shiny spot (or rather shinier than the rest of the paint) around the lower rear pat of the tank. Bike still looks great tho and he says it gives it personality.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 AM
SwtIron
Advanced

I am doing a 1200 conversion and understand it comes in black highlights on the cylinder. Anyone know it the black denim touch up paint would work to touch up the silver trim? any idea how much powder coating cost?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Monochrome
Road Captain

Have black denim on my Bob and I can't say I take special care of it but it come up perfect with just a spray on soap. Sales guy is spinning you a line.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:12 AM
lp johnny
Road Captain

easy to take care of...windex makes it all right

Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hubby had a Night Train in the Black Denim. Loved it, and it was easy to take care of. I have Crimson Red Denim on my Street Bob. I too love it. Just do NOT polish it!! Soap and water, or you CAN use windex on it if you feel you must use something besides the soap and water.

Quick Reply: Black Denim Paint Question