General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Degreaser problem.....your opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 06:46 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Degreaser problem.....your opinions.

Long story short. Mechanic at local dealership sprayed, he stated, engine degreaser on my crank case, primary cover, and transmission case. Now it is darker than before and the primary cover has the evidence, drip marks. The dealership is going to make things right. They are going to replace the primary cover.....I did not tell them that upon arrival of that part it will now be lighter than the rest of the lower casings. That will be addressed at that later point. End of the day they will correct what is wrong and will make things right.

Here are some facts....09 FXDB 1000 miles. The color of the light gray parts are now mostly battleship gray...with specks of light gray.

The question.......Is there something I can try to use to wash this area to remove the degreaser? Because it looks as though the degreaser was sprayed on and never rinsed off. I would like to try this in hopes to remedy the situation quickly as not to lose riding time due to long and excessive replacing of these parts.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

If pics are needed....I'll try and take and place on thread later tonight.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:58 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would they use degreaser on it at the 1K service? Is that why it was in the shop?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:08 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have to use de-Degreaser to get the degreaser off and then you may need some de-de-Degreaser if the de-Degreaser leaves any spots.

j/k I have no idea

Old 07-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dutch, since you are asking for opinions, here's mine. Ride to the local car wash with a can of WD-40. Let the bike cool down and the spray the engine with WD-40 and then wash it with the car wash. Don't know if it will work or not but I would try it.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,763 Likes on 6,897 Posts

Originally Posted by jstreet0204
You have to use de-Degreaser to get the degreaser off and then you may need some de-de-Degreaser if the de-Degreaser leaves any spots.

j/k I have no idea
I love this site!

Sorry about your problem but I sell some degreasers and they are harsh. You have to be very careful what you spray them on. I hope they take good care of you on this.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
gkvette
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope things work out for you. I would really hate for that to happen to my 09 Dyna. Wished there was something I could suggest. This is another "trip to Dealer goes wrong" story that makes me even more apprehensive about ever taking mine back unless a warranty necessity.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:39 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tallboy56
Why would they use degreaser on it at the 1K service? Is that why it was in the shop?
I made the mistake of mentioning two areas that I noticed oil. One at the base of the cylinders and one at the sensor at the front base of the crank case. The service person told me that it was grease used during assembly of the engine. My reply was fine no big deal. I never asked for it to be cleaned off. I only mentioned it for clarification to make sure that it was not an issue to be concerned with. I of course was bringing it in for the 1000 mile service and have it inspected for any warranty issues. As I had an issue with the gas tank being loose; which they fixed. The service person was acting with all the best intentions and I am not mad, just worried that this cosmetic incident will become a major mountain.