General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning water spots on chrome...vinegar

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:36 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Cleaning water spots on chrome...vinegar

I washed my bike yesterday and the engine was still warm enough that I ended up with water spots all over most of the chrome around the engine. Tried several different cleaners, windex, harley gloss, etc...nothing touched 'em. Asked the wife what she would use and she popped into the kitchen for a bottle of vinegar. The vinegar instantly erased every water spot it touched. No scrubbing necessary. Took me many years of scrubbing these things only to have my wife hand me the vinegar and give me that "Duhhh" look. Try it next time, you'll see! Now I'm wondering if it would be safe on the paint, gloss black is a bitch.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:11 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stro1965
I washed my bike yesterday and the engine was still warm enough that I ended up with water spots all over most of the chrome around the engine. Tried several different cleaners, windex, harley gloss, etc...nothing touched 'em. Asked the wife what she would use and she popped into the kitchen for a bottle of vinegar. The vinegar instantly erased every water spot it touched. No scrubbing necessary. Took me many years of scrubbing these things only to have my wife hand me the vinegar and give me that "Duhhh" look. Try it next time, you'll see! Now I'm wondering if it would be safe on the paint, gloss black is a bitch.
Before you try it on your paint, give Lemon Pledge a try...stuff works awesome and is safe on the paint!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 PM
foxhd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use pledge often also. It cleans, gives a little protection, but most importantly, it doesn't leave alot of residue.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Billie
Cruiser

Pledge does works great. I have used Windex window cleaner on my chrome.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:04 PM
tennessee streetglide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Billie
Pledge does works great. I have used Windex window cleaner on my chrome.
I have used windex on my chrome for years works great.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:27 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you like fries with that?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 PM
08HD
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stro1965

Hey stro1965! How was the smell when the chrome heated up on the engine and pipes with that vinegar?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Another Windex user here...At least with it your hands don't smell like you've been playing in douche water.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:56 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I will have to try that; vinegar. I use either simichrome or Flitz to polish my chrome. Both products remove my water spots, but vinegar in comparison is cheaper.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Careful with that vinegar! It works because it's acidic. If you let it sit on a surface too long, it will etch it. Be sure to do a follow-up wipe-down with detailing spray or something similar.

BTW, vinegar is also good for loosening/removing surface rust.

Quick Reply: Cleaning water spots on chrome...vinegar