General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear light color in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:00 PM
ptoemmes
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear light color in Florida

Need a LEO or attorney to interpret this I guess. Below is a section of the Florida State statute covering the color or lights on a vehicle (including motorcycle).

I always thought that a stop light could only be red, but look at (3) below. I do not care to have anything but a red stoplight, but still...

I am trying to determine if it is okay to turn my rear amber turn signals also into amber running/tail light but NOT an additional stop light.

Would the rear bullets be consider rear clearance lamps in which case it seems to only permit red?

I was going to add the Biketronics TailRunner, but just may go all red and do the MoCo conversion and be "safe"

Thanks,

Pete

316.224 Color of clearance lamps, identification lamps, side marker lamps, backup lamps, reflectors, and deceleration lights.--

(1) Front clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.

(2) Rear clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.

(3) All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except the stop light or other signal device, which may be red, amber, or yellow, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a backup lamp shall be white or amber. Deceleration lights as authorized by s. 316.235(5) shall display an amber color.

(4) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:44 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Rear light color in Florida

looks like one of them subjects that if you ask 20 different people you get 20 different answers!!

Old 06-12-2006, 04:18 AM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

I`d go with the red.......red is for STOP ![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-12-2006, 09:25 AM
NEONNIGHT34609
Road Captain

i changed all my rear to red .. i live in fl

Old 06-12-2006, 10:53 AM
lapisblue
Tourer

You can't have Amber running lights on the rear of ANY vehicle, in ANY state.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looked really straighforward to me, at least from the rear facing part.

Red is the only constant on rear facing light allowed other than the license plate light. Interesting that you can have an amber stop light though. I would think that could cause some confusion among the blue hairs.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:38 PM
ptoemmes
Advanced

Thanks everyone...it's always dangerous to apply common sens to "laws", but in this case rear-red seems to be the "rule" when it comes to tail, marker, identification (one of those probably covers running) lights. Turn signals can be amber and, while I have nver seen an amber or yellow brake light in Florida, we do tend to have some laws to deal with farm tractors, etc.

Bottom line I have no desire to have a non-red taillight and it probably woudl not paly outside fo Florida anyway.

Sicne I have the narrow billet bullet light bar in the rear I guess I'll risk being sent to Gitmo for making them auxiliary brake lights.

Pete

Old 06-13-2006, 12:47 AM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

ORIGINAL: ptoemmes

Thanks everyone...it's always dangerous to apply common sens to "laws", but in this case rear-red seems to be the "rule" when it comes to tail, marker, identification (one of those probably covers running) lights. Turn signals can be amber and, while I have nver seen an amber or yellow brake light in Florida, we do tend to have some laws to deal with farm tractors, etc.

Bottom line I have no desire to have a non-red taillight and it probably woudl not paly outside fo Florida anyway.

Sicne I have the narrow billet bullet light bar in the rear I guess I'll risk being sent to Gitmo for making them auxiliary brake lights.

Pete

Hey, Pete can`t you use clear lens and red bulbs in the turn signals and still use them as auxiliary brake lights. ( if you do make sure you use red glass bulbs they don`t fade )