General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Road King Exhaust Upgrade to True-Duals

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:08 PM
FLHRC09
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Road King Exhaust Upgrade to True-Duals

I have a new 09 FLHRC.

At the recommendation of a friend I had some upgrades installed a couple days ago (race tuner, high-flow intake, and Bub-7 true duals).

The overall upgrade performs great, but I'm disappointed in the exhaust. It sounds and performs well, but the Bub's changed the exhaust routing which I didn’t want.

Most of you probably know that Harley redesigned the frame and exhaust in 2009 for the RK line. The new exhaust design routes the left-side pipe under the frame instead of along the left side near the rider’s leg. This new design makes a big difference in the exhaust heat noticed by the riders. This is one reason I bought the 09 instead of a good used 08 RK.

I didn't realize the Bub true duals would change this. Now the exhaust is routed the same as 08 (and earlier models). The added heat is really noticable. Experiencing the before and after effect makes it really stand out. I want it back like it was... nice and cool.

So it's going back in on Wednesday to have the exhaust changed again. This time I'm going with the Vance & Hines true duals. Their header design preserves the new 09 exhaust routing. I'll Use Rinehart slip-ons which supposedly look and sound exactly like the Bub's (chrome slash-cut).

My only concern with this other true-dual system is the header pipes are an over/under design on the right side before routing under the frame for the left side. Looking at the pictures I’m hoping there isn’t a ground clearance issue (see: http://www.vanceandhines.com/product...sserduals.html)

If anyone has ideas or advice for me, I’m all ears J

Old 09-05-2009, 12:34 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly if you want to keep the same routing as the stock pipes on the 09, you should have saved a bunch of money and kept the stock head pipe. You'll see a slight increase in torque over the true duals as the stock pipe is a 2 into 1 into 2 design. As long as your not in California, your stock head pipe wont have a catalyst in it so in reality, it wont be any more hot than any of the after market stuff. I would sell the bub true duals head pipes, keep the slip ons and go back to the stock head pipe.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:35 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might get better responses in the touring forum. Personnaly, I would just go with slip-ons and the stock 2-1-2 headers that come with the 09's. I hear they perform better than true duals, but I'm new to touring bikes.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:38 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Honestly if you want to keep the same routing as the stock pipes on the 09, you should have saved a bunch of money and kept the stock head pipe. You'll see a slight increase in torque over the true duals as the stock pipe is a 2 into 1 into 2 design. As long as your not in California, your stock head pipe wont have a catalyst in it so in reality, it wont be any more hot than any of the after market stuff. I would sell the bub true duals head pipes, keep the slip ons and go back to the stock head pipe.
You beat me to it! I need to learn to type faster, lol. I believe that the original poster has his answer now.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:52 PM
FLHRC09
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great advice! Thanks!!

I've reposted this thread in the touring forum: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post5538532