General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Onboard Tire Compressor Vs Portable.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:35 PM
BuldogCharley
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onboard Tire Compressor Vs Portable.

First the onboard tire compressor is for the rider that is serious about his ore her tire pressure and plane to monitor and maintain the proper air pressure at all times. To date we only found one company that makes a compressor in this category that is the Savior250psi The $10.00 to $40.00 mini compressor is for the biker that hope he ore she will never need to use it and will only notice their tires when they are flat.
This was based on a marketing survey at the Sturgis rally last summer at a free tire test center over 2,000 participated in the test check for the proper tire pressure. The results I was told was sent to AMA to be include in the crash study program starting this year.

We have about 60 members in our local MC Club a mix of Metric & HD. We had a debate, as to which is the best Tire Compressor to buy. We were surprise of all the different portable compressors that are out there, the only problem we were unable to compare an onboard compressors because apparently there is only one company that manufacture an onboard tire compressor for motorcycles and that is the Savior250psi.

The only other bike that had a built in compressor is the older Honda Gold Wings. This compressor was primarily designed to inflate the suspension, a kit is available to tap on the air line to inflate the tires. 15 bikes participated in the competition.

The competition rules were as follows:
Not allowed to run engine when inflating tires.
Start by deflating the rear tire air to 10 psi. All the tire were the same size.
Take the compressor kit from storage, check the tire pressure and inflate to 50 psi and return the kit to storage.
Re start the engine.
The fastest time was 4 minutes 46 seconds clear winner was the Savior250psi On Board Tire Compressor.

Only one of the portables was able to reach 50 psi in 14 minutes but kill the battery.
Honda Gold Wing reach 42 psi 12 minutes, but had to remove the hose before stopping the compressor, that cause it to loose most of its air.

One thing we found common among the portables, they drew a lot of amperage 12 to 15 amps and they didn't reach much more than 30 to 40 psi. Three of the bikes in the test were unable to start their bikes after inflating the tires.

None of the compressors had a built in air gauge like the Savior250psi. They all had to stop the compressor, remove the hose and check the air pressure with a pencil gauge. After the test we verified all the tire pressure and only the Savior250psi On Board Tire Compressor matches the shop gauge.

Reviewing some of the comments on this topic. I hope I never need to use it, or it is an over kill. If you are a rider that waits till your tire is flat to check it, Then perhaps the $10.00 compressor is all you need.

The average tubeless tire looses about 4 to 6 psi in a 10 hours of riding depending on temperature road condition and speed.
If you take your riding seriously and safety is your top priority then we recommend you invest in a Savior250psi On Board Tire Compressor it is the best investment you will ever make.

Like they say an under inflated tire is a silent killer. If you want to make your own test, try and stop really quickly with your tire at 30psi then do the same test at the proper maximum pressure and you will see for your self how shorter of a distance you will need to come to a stop at the same speeds. That extra few feet might be a life or death difference.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:51 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Well OK.

Although I've never lost more than a pound a day on cross country riding.

Last edited by cHarley; 09-15-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:13 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BuldogCharley

The average tubeless tire looses about 4 to 6 psi in a 10 hours of riding depending on temperature road condition and speed.
Sounds like you have problems with your tires holding air then. I don't lose 6 pounds of air in 200 hours of riding.

Where did you get this statistic from??? "Marketing survey". Sounds like ShamWow did this market survey.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 PM
dmftoy1
Tourer

+1 . . .did 1400 miles in a long weekend and didn't lose any.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 PM
BuldogCharley
Banned

lighter bike lose less air. We also notice that tire seam level off at 36 to 40 psi and those tire seam to keep pressure but To keep tire pressure at 50 psi on a metzeler its much more tricky. Always check you tire cold first thing in the morning. During the day tire seam to always be ok. We check to tire hot and the next morning check them again to fine almost 6 lbs deferent.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:53 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,877 Likes on 8,237 Posts

You have too much $.......... And time on your hands...

Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

OoooooooooooooooooooooooK!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I think whatever air compressor you use......it is mainly for an emergency or to get you back on the road so that you can get a repair.
I don't see the reason for inflating to 50 PSI.....I can limp quite a few miles on 25 PSI.
(Heck...when I bought my bike, the rear tire only had 15 PSI and I rode it 30 miles home on an interstate)
The smallest lightest compressor that will fit in whatever you carry will be better than sitting on the edge of the road.
But thanks for the comparison.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:10 PM
BuldogCharley
Banned

The whole concept for savior250psi compressor is to maintain the proper air pressure if your not getting 12, to 14,000 mile from your rear tire your not maintaining the proper air pressure

quote=themensh;5587943]I think whatever air compressor you use......it is mainly for an emergency or to get you back on the road so that you can get a repair.
I don't see the reason for inflating to 50 PSI.....I can limp quite a few miles on 25 PSI.
(Heck...when I bought my bike, the rear tire only had 15 PSI and I rode it 30 miles home on an interstate)
The smallest lightest compressor that will fit in whatever you carry will be better than sitting on the edge of the road.
But thanks for the comparison.[/quote]

Quick Reply: Onboard Tire Compressor Vs Portable.