General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering your Harley?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:07 PM
pirates55
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trailering your Harley?????

I'm heading down to Myrtle Beach, SC this coming weekend and would like to haul my road king. I have a nice utility tailer but my question is what type straps to you guys use to secure the harley. This is the first time I have ever hauled it on a trailer. Any advice or any brand specific straps and how to's or where to place the straps on the bike would be appreciated.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Softbutt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trailering your Harley?????

Go to your stealer and pickup a set of soft ties and 2 sets of straps.... I think the soft ties are 7.00 and the straps are about 30.00 per pair..... They work good!!!!!

Soft ties off the handle bars, not to compress the fork completely down. Leave a lil play in fork, you dont wanna bust the seals. Tie the rear from the floorboard bracket, or soft tie on rear crash bar, or run a strap thru the wheel, just keep it from hopping around. You may wanna invest in a wheel chock for your front wheel.....

Old 06-26-2006, 04:43 PM
henryjw1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto, except I got my soft ties and ratchet straps at Walmart. Used 'm a bunch with no problems.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:46 PM
TheRealCopey
Advanced

Really good article on securing your bike.

http://www.chariot-trailer.com/index...d=15&Itemid=43

Old 06-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Softbutt
Tourer

I bought some straps and ties from Walmart first..... I thought the soft ties were just way to then..... The hooks on the straps just worried me, they didnt have a big enough bend for me..... Im sure they would work, but i was just a little leary of them....

ORIGINAL: henryjw1

Ditto, except I got my soft ties and ratchet straps at Walmart. Used 'm a bunch with no problems.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:45 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Save yourself the trouble. Ride it down there.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:46 AM
71tradewind
Tourer

ORIGINAL: pirates55

I'm heading down to Myrtle Beach, SC this coming weekend and would like to haul my road king. I have a nice utility tailer but my question is what type straps to you guys use to secure the harley. This is the first time I have ever hauled it on a trailer. Any advice or any brand specific straps and how to's or where to place the straps on the bike would be appreciated.
We need to start a group that prevents cruelty to Harleys .....least you can do is make sure its an enclosed trailer so your bike does'nt have to hang its headlight in shame as it passes other "free" Harleys on the open road .......what is this world comin too ????????????[sm=rant.gif]

Old 06-27-2006, 12:58 AM
route2null0
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 71tradewind

We need to start a group that prevents cruelty to Harleys .....least you can do is make sure its an enclosed trailer so your bike does'nt have to hang its headlight in shame as it passes other "free" Harleys on the open road .......what is this world comin too ????????????[sm=rant.gif]
Perhaps this person has a family and they're going down to see grandma or something... give it a rest

Old 06-27-2006, 01:03 AM
71tradewind
Tourer

ORIGINAL: route2null0

ORIGINAL: 71tradewind

Perhaps this person has a family and they're going down to see grandma or something... give it a rest
Give it a rest ......[sm=confused06.gif]......[sm=confused06.gif]........Never! ..... it was written in a light hearted manner anyway.. more for the chuckle than than the literal aspect ......geeeeeeze oh pete!

Old 06-27-2006, 01:11 AM
71tradewind
Tourer

I just phoned Pirates Grandma ...and she agrees with me ! and ohhhh she said make sure you wear your helmet !

Quick Reply: Trailering your Harley?????