General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was accosted by a 1%er today

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:46 PM
OkieRoadWarrior66
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I was accosted by a 1%er today

(I am leaving out the names of both clubs involved for obvious reasons)

I went to a neighboring town to see a friend of mine from high school today and have her husband replace the snaps on my MC vest. They were set up at a toy run for kids. I hadn't seen my friend in 25 years, so we were both excited to catch up while my vest was being repaired.

So, I got the snaps replaced and was waiting for her daughter to arrive so I could meet her, when this big guy from the 1%er club walks up and shakes my hand.

After looking over my vest, he asked me if I was a a member of the profession which was represented by my club (which is an international club, btw). I said yes, then he asked me if I was from the town where the toy run was being held. I told him no, that I was from a town 50 miles away. Then he asked me if I was riding with my friends, I told him I wasn't riding today, I was just there to get my vest fixed. Then he asked me if I was with the confederation. Not knowing what that was, I said no. (I've only had a few months with my current MC)

Then, he leaned toward me (the music speakers were right behind us blaring loudly) and said "I'm not threatening you or anything, but if you're not with a confederation, there are some people there who might take issue with my patches on the back (the rocker patches above and below the club patch). I told him that I was new to the club, but that it was an international club and I was sure that I was legitimate. He said "well this is a state thing" and that "they might give me a hard time about my patches", then said "they'll probably come over here and cut your patches off your vest".

Then he said he was going to go get me some information on the confederation meetings and that he was going to get my name and phone number. While he was gone, I took my vest off and folded it under my arm. I was only wearing it so I wouldn't have to carry it around or walk over to my truck at the neighboring Lowe's and put it away. When he came back, he noticed I was no longer wearing my vest and said "that was probably a good idea", then some other guy came over with a pen and 2 pieces of paper. He said that he wasn't very organized and didn't have the information for me, but he wrote his "biker" name on the paper, then his cell number. He then handed me the other piece of paper and said "now you're going to answer when I call, right?" I said "of course I will", then wrote down the name of a friend of mine who died years ago and my old cell phone number that's no longer in service. He said he'd give me a call, then walked off. I told my friend that I couldn't stay and I left. I figured he'd try to call my cell phone while I was there and I didn't want to deal with him again, or his club buddies and I got the hell out of there.

The more I think about it, the more I'm pissed. I won't make the mistake of wearing my club colors outside of a club activity again, nor will I show up at a bike event without friends. I realize that rocker patches are a sensitive issue with some MC's, but theh club I'm a member of is an internationally chartered club. I'll have to speak with my club president to make sure I didn't violate any biker ethics, but I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. And of all things, this happened at a toy run, not a bar.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:58 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like he was trying to help you out. I don't get it I guess.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:05 PM
OkieRoadWarrior66
Cruiser

I don't get it either, but I'm quite sure that he wasn't trying to help me out. Asking for my name and phone number and having a buddy bring the paper over, I felt it was an intimidation tactic. Then when he said "you're going to answer when I call, right?", I think he knew he had me intimidated.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:07 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Huh!!!!

Old 11-21-2009, 10:14 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb After 48 years.....

I've learned that club affiliations are more trouble than they are worth. Your experience validates that. There are always people out there who take exception to stuff like that. I don't wear "biker" clothing at all, just a plain rider no one wants bother. I do have a H.O.G. chapter vest hanging in my closet, but I haven't worn it for at least five years.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:19 PM
OkieRoadWarrior66
Cruiser

On a bright note, I got my vest snaps replaced and they look good. I also picked up the front signal relocation kit and hope to get it put on soon.

I just had to vent, it was really childish what happened earlier today.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:28 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Maybe more like educated... just sayin!

MC CONFEDERATIONS

Many MC’s in North America have established state wide MC confederations which are composed of MC’s that have chapters in that state. Such confederations hold periodic meetings on neutral ground, where normally the presidents and vice presidents of each club or chapter will meet to discuss issues of common interest. Often territorial disputes or other inter club disagreements are resolved.

It is common that the largest “one percent” club in a state will control the federation, and will impose their will on the smaller motorcycle clubs. Many of the smaller clubs will be forced to adopt a support role, and if they resist, could even be forced to disband or risk a war. These smaller clubs are often shamed into handing over their colours and joining the AMA to signify that they are not “one percenters”. Many such bike clubs are family clubs and would be obliged to comply.

Last edited by krwould; 11-22-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:37 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Stories like this is one of the many reasons I don't wear any type of patch, this is the only patch I would wear. Still not going to stop me from getting my a@# kicked but at least they paid me to wear it.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 PM
LX HEMI
Tourer

you never know what people have in their agenda. You did the right thing.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by OkieRoadWarrior66
(Snip a bunch) I'll have to speak with my club president to make sure I didn't violate any biker ethics, but I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. Snip a bit)
Yeah, you violated "biker ethics" by lying to another mc member. By giving out a bogus name and cell # you put your club in a bad light. It ain't like he was going to trace you by that info. Chances are he was going to get you the info on the CoC, or whatever they have in your state.

Quick Reply: I was accosted by a 1%er today