General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resale value question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:06 AM
sundogbrew
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resale value question...

Is it my imagination or do Vrods not resell as well as other HDs? I look on ebay from time to time "just to see what's out there" and I often see Vrods going for much less than say softies? I know MSRP has a fatboy about 1K more than a vrod. But I have seen like 5 year old vrod going for what a 9 or 10 year old fatboy goes for. Any idea why that is?
Just wondering.
Joe

Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vrods have a smaller buyer base to work with. a good number of harley buyers do not even look at vrods, therefore less resale.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:23 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

They are a tough sell when they are new also, and I don't know why. .............Harley just "missed the mark" with this bike I guess.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:26 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

kinda like a custom bike to most riders....has its own nitch...
same as when U customize most things..U cut down the number of people who wants them.
less demand ='s less money....

Old 12-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Nightking
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others have said, you are either a V rod fan or you're not. Those who are , are totally in love with them.Those who aren't ,won't even give them a second look. I sold one for my neighbor last year on Ebay. His was an 07 Night Road Special with some mods, black with satin black accents. It had 4700 miles on it. We finally sold it for $11k. He paid $18.5k for it one year before.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:37 AM
JohnT
Road Master

Originally Posted by will2002
They are a tough sell when they are new also, and I don't know why. .............Harley just "missed the mark" with this bike I guess.
Could be because many folks find them too uncomfortable. They got the ergos wrong with the frame layout. The forward controls are too far forward, as are the handlebars, forcing the rider into a v-shape of their own. And, when they tried midsets on several models, the pegs were too close to the bottom of the seat, forcing a jockey-like position that is worse than most sport bikes. As to two-up riding, forget about it, unless your passenger is a gymnast.

All of that is too bad because the engine/transmission combination is fantastic. Put that combo in a more user-friendly frame, and they would have something. Maybe someday.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:32 AM
un3asyrider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a brand new 08 night rod at one of my local dealers going for 14K and change. they are a tough sell.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Chrome Sweet Chrome
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having owned one myself I can tell you that they are a poor two up machine. Look cool and they haul *** but they look like crap if you hang bags on them and passenger comfort sucks for more htan a few miles. Small gas tanks mean that you need fuel every 100 miles or so. But FAST? Yer sir! Poor resale as a result. For a single rider who wants a HD that is fast.....this is the one!

Old 12-07-2009, 02:04 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nightking
Like others have said, you are either a V rod fan or you're not. Those who are , are totally in love with them.Those who aren't ,won't even give them a second look. I sold one for my neighbor last year on Ebay. His was an 07 Night Road Special with some mods, black with satin black accents. It had 4700 miles on it. We finally sold it for $11k. He paid $18.5k for it one year before.

Yikes! V-Rod is supposed to be selling well in Europe but to myself this is why Harley is reluctant to deviate from from it's tried and true heavy bikes. They came out with a modern, water cooled, bike and it doesn't sell.

Last edited by barjbar; 12-07-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:16 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

They don't sound like a Harley. They don't look like a Harley. The airbox looks like a turtle back. There are metric copies of Harley out there that look and sound more like a Harley then the v-rod. It is a niche bike that doesn't appeal to a lot of the traditional HD's that people want to own. I don't care what others own or ride ---but I will never own a v-rod. I don't like them just like I don't like certain paint colors. People buy what they like. The ironic thing is that fifty years from now I would expect collectors to talk about how innovative and futuristic the v-rod was. It is like how they talk about the number 1 Willie G boat tail fender.

Quick Reply: resale value question...