General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotater Cuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:15 AM
TheGeek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rotater Cuff

I tore my rotator cuff again last week after slipping on the ice. What I want to know, if anyone out there is riding with a torn cuff? I am planning some long trips this year and want to know how much discomfort ya’ll have with an injured cuff. I really don’t want to have surgery, but if it means I don’t ride, then I will get it done ASAP.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:23 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had AC separations and torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders several times...17 years later no surgeries and still riding. Back then they didnt do the surgery orthoscopically, it was a large incision and months and months to heal, so I opted for no surgery. Best advise I can give you is once you feel better, start doing excersizes that will strengthen your shoulder and tighten it up so the muscles hold everything in place but start light

Old 02-09-2010, 08:23 AM
dyna-rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are lucky it will be a small tear and it will heal on its own. I rode for a year with mine before I had surgery, but there was a lot more damage once they got in to look. Surgery was 10 months ago, just released from the doctor but still have some minor pain. Was riding about 3 months after surgery. Hope yours is minor. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm still having shoulder problems, not a tear but I had cartilage growing into that region that was surgically repaired. That was a few years ago. It still hurts, doctor thinks some scar tissue grew in there now. I just live with it. Doesn't hurt bad enough to affect my riding, only when lifting heavy object over my head.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:54 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no rotator cuff problem but I did go for a ride a couple weeks after my hemorrhoid operation. I wasn't long turning around

Old 02-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Last summer I talked with my Doctor about my torn rotater cuff and had a choice of surgery or physical therapy. Since this was at the height of riding season, I opted for physical therapy. I could go with surgery later. PT helped enough so that I still feel that I don't want surgery. I rode the bike to the PT sessions.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripper
Last summer I talked with my Doctor about my torn rotater cuff and had a choice of surgery or physical therapy. Since this was at the height of riding season, I opted for physical therapy. I could go with surgery later. PT helped enough so that I still feel that I don't want surgery. I rode the bike to the PT sessions.
I went the same route as Tripper except that physical Therapy only aggravated my situation... I had surgery in early October and everything is fine now...You will know when surgery is necessary..
If the pain becomes intolarable...and you think twice before doing something with that arm,then it's time..

Old 02-09-2010, 09:41 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

I tore my right side while sheeting a roof in the snow. It was so bad that I couldn't sleep on my right side for several months. I went to the doc and had the ultrasound done on it and he told me that "it wasn't terrible", and that unless I was a professional baseball player he reccomended letting it go for awhile and see what happens with it. Two years later the only time it hurts me is when playing softball. Riding doesn't hurt it at all.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:59 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had one for years I got in the Army. Never had surgery, but got a nice 25% disability for it. After a few years it quit bothering me unless I lift really heavy when I work out. Doesn't affect my riding at all.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rustell
I went the same route as Tripper except that physical Therapy only aggravated my situation... I had surgery in early October and everything is fine now...You will know when surgery is necessary..
If the pain becomes intolarable...and you think twice before doing something with that arm,then it's time..
I'll second that. I went thru therapy, coratzone shots and finally begged the Doc to do the surgery. 6 months later I was better than new. Turns out I had a lot more that just a torn rotator cuff.

Quick Reply: Rotater Cuff