General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiley X

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wiley X

I’m trying to not go off, but I just called Wiley X to see about another set of replacement arms for my Top Jimmy model glasses and was told that glasses sold before ’09 only had a one year warranty? Does anyone here recollect what the warranty terms have been with Wiley X? I can’t begin to imagine that they only had a one year warranty.

I have a ton of money tied up in these Wiley X glasses. I first bought their Top Jimmy with their transition lenses that lasted about a week and just told them to send me some smoke lenses in their place. Basically, costing me about $45 difference for nothing.

Then, since I otherwise liked the glasses for riding, I ordered a pair with prescription lenses – with brand name Transition prescription lenses and the whole bit. I soon discovered that the Top Jimmy like many of the Wiley X glasses – easily break where the hole is for the strap. I called them up and they sent me two arms. Well, guess, what? I fixed one and then the other broke and I replaced it.

Now, I had a third arm break and I called to see about replacement arms and they said they didn’t make that model anymore and they were out of replacement parts for them. Basically, you’re **** out of luck.

Plus she’s telling me that they didn’t have a lifetime warranty when I bought mine….. so, no replacement of any kind.

Can anyone confirm for me that Wiley X only started honoring a lifetime warranty in ’09? I call bullshit on that.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:39 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I found this doing a Google search;

Warranty
All Wiley X products are fully guaranteed for one year from the date of purchase on material and workmanship. This does not cover negligence in use of the product that extends to scratched lenses. Upon receiving the defective item Wiley X will repair or replace it at no charge. Authorization is not required for the return of defective merchandise. Please include the amount of $5.00 for return shipping and handling.

http://www.gearzoneproducts.com/inde...TS&Category=98

Old 03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my WileyX "airbornes" last year and have not one problem with my glasses. So are you saying after 09' they come with a lifetime warrenty? COOL!....i never checked into a warrenty when i bought them. i just like the fit/look of them and wanted there transition lenses...

im satified with mine...sorry for yor luck man.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

Well, kiss my ***!

That’s it for me…no more Wiley X if I can help it. Too bad, cuz they function well, but the designs with a hole for a strap are defective. Three arms broken isn’t an isolated incident.

I’ll order Panoptix or 7 Eye or whatever if I can get them next time.

Thanks for the link to back them up… I couldn’t find anything.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

i recently bought some wiley x ink online,a bit dissapointed,glasses a bit small! looked bigger in pic,there ok!! maybe revover or something might be better??

Old 03-10-2010, 02:59 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a couple pair of WileyX a couple of years ago with perscription lenses. Bought them directly from WileyX and they were great to deal with. Bought about half dozen frames with no lenses in them, tried them on and decided which one I liked. Sent them back for a credit - worked well. I see they will not deal directly with the public (except military) anymore - shame, as they were a lot cheaper than even through the online retailers. They have functioned very well - no issues.

To the OP, the only thing I could suggest would be to ask WileyX if any of their current frame lineup would fit your lenses. Will cost you a few bucks for the frame but you won't have to have new lenses made.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:22 PM
SD_Nick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my wiley's back in '08. Well after the 1 year warranty I called and explained they broke where your suppose to use the strap. No questions asked they asked for my address and shipped new without me proving proof of purchase. I like my wileys and hoping your's is an isolated incident, I dont wanna replace my Rx sunglasses again.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:35 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a pair of X-SG1 with 4 different sets of lenses and it's sitting on a shelf in my garage. They're flimsy and too big for me. It's a 1 size fits all but you better have a big head cause they don't fit snugly on mine. Only way not to see them fly off when I ride is to tighten the strap behind my head, something I don't like to do.
I wear a $15 pair of riding sunglasses bought in Myrtle Beach that fit me much better than the $150 X-SG1. Go figure!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RexBuck

To the OP, the only thing I could suggest would be to ask WileyX if any of their current frame lineup would fit your lenses. Will cost you a few bucks for the frame but you won't have to have new lenses made.

That actually crossed my mind......good suggestion. My insurance paid for a portion of the prescription lenses, but I still had to pitch in a good sum of money to have the name brand Transition lenses.....making me into these Top Jimmies for a princely sum and now when the inevitable happens and the next arm breaks - they're worthless. Unless the lenses happen to fit another frame.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:58 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I have a pair of X-SG1 with 4 different sets of lenses and it's sitting on a shelf in my garage. They're flimsy and too big for me. It's a 1 size fits all but you better have a big head cause they don't fit snugly on mine. Only way not to see them fly off when I ride is to tighten the strap behind my head, something I don't like to do.
I wear a $15 pair of riding sunglasses bought in Myrtle Beach that fit me much better than the $150 X-SG1. Go figure!
I posted this morning that my Wily-X goggles performed well when I got hit with a big rock doing 75 in the passing lane. I wear SG1's also and yes they are made for fat heads which I am not. I only wear my RX's while riding so under my half helmet they feel pretty good although I have to adjust them on the bridge of my nose a lot. As I said in my earlier thread, I don't believe other glasses would have stayed intack with the force of the strike they took. The lens is badly cracked but no shards came out and it held in place. I've got some bruising and swelling on the bridge of my nose but otherwise I am fine. Going to ride home with my amber lenses.

Quick Reply: Wiley X