General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations: Boss Bags vs Leatherworks & Easy Brackets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Bluerose
Default Observations: Boss Bags vs Leatherworks & Easy Brackets.

Hubby got in his Boss Bags for the VTX. With all the troubles I was having with my bags (which are large) and the support of the easy brackets not being what I had hoped I was really interested in the Boss Bag setup. Thought I would share my observations with you.

Boss Bags

Pros:
[ul][*] Very solid construction. The sides bottom and backing are all PVC lined and very solid. The lid also contains a pvc lining in the flat top area. The effects are that it seems to have a frame support.[*] Supports - Boss Bags uses thier own Phantom brackets. Hooks up like an end for an air hose, with a heavy plastic (pvc?) piece that fits to the back of the bag. Again a very solid fit.[*] The "piggyback" bags can be added in 2 different ways; either bolt on or hang on. Hubby choose the bolt on for the back of the bag and was considering getting the hang on water bottle holder for the front. Since we wear full face on long rides though he's not sure it's worth the cash (I think they are $50) [*] They come complete with master locks to lock the bags.
[/ul]
Cons:
[ul][*] You must open the bag to remove the bags. The removal mechanism is inside the bags...for me with nothing in the bags it seemed awkward.[*] There is no lock on the removal mechanism. You must lock your bags to avoid removal of the bags...kind of annoying. I don't bother locking the bags when there is nothing in them of value for convient access to water and such.[*] The "Nipples" that hold on the phantom brackets are fairly long. On Hubby's bike it looks a bit strange with out the bags on. He was hoping for better since he only wanted bags for long rides.[*] The bags come with some over the shoulder straps and d-rings on the side of the bag. If you put on the "piggyback" bags the d-ring ends up inside the "piggyback" bag meaning to use the straps you would have to have the "piggyback" bag open.[*] Hubby bought the insert to have a "map pocket" on the inside of the bag. These arrived as velro in panels which kinda concerns hubby.....he has not put these in yet.[*] Lots of $$$$
[/ul]

LeatherWorks (110s) with Easy Brackets

Pros:

[ul][*] Bags are sturdy heavy leather with the back of the bag a heavy leather/plastic(pvc?) mix.[*] Bags come with extedable straps so that you can strap something to the top of the bag.[*] Bags have an easy carrying handle on the top.[*] Map pocket is sewn in.[*] Because the bags are flat backed you can mount the easy brakets so the bags sit where you want them.[*] Easy brakets are easy to install and the locks iare not reliant on the bags being locked.[*] For the Deluxe about $400 to $500 Cheaper then the Boss Bags (depending on what you get of course)
[/ul]
Cons:

[ul][*] The bags have no locking mechanism...would be nice to see something like that.[*] There is no real support on the inside of the bag besides the thickness of the leather. May sag after a while???[*] The seams on the bottom of the bags have a tendancy to curve towards the back of the bag (at least I have one like that) it's not huge but can affect clearance on the bag.[*] The easy bracket on the larger bags does not provide a large amount of support for the bags and they tend to swing in toward the swing arm and can hit the axle nut on the left (this is my problem) on softails that support is required for the larger bags. This can be remedied by adding further supports to the back (I'll post this when we are done doing it)
[/ul]

Each set of bags has it's pros and cons. I like the sturdyness of Boss Bags but the design of the Leatherworks. I'm also partial to the locking mechanism on the Easy Brackets. Just my observations....guess I'll see how it goes!

Old 08-17-2006, 07:16 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Observations: Boss Bags vs Leatherworks & Easy Brackets.

I can only speak with experience about the Boss bags ( and yes, they are expensive!). Good quality but installation was not a piece of cake. You have to read the instructions and follow them exactly -- ie. no shortcuts. IMHO the only reason the locks are there are to prevent the theft of the bag, not what's in it. If someone wants what's in the bag, that lock ain't a gonna keep them out, but it might discourage an impulse thief. I seldom lock the bags anymore unless I am in places where common sense demands it.

Having said all that, they do look good on the bike! If I had to do it again, I probably would still go with Boss.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:35 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: dadofsix

I can only speak with experience about the Boss bags ( and yes, they are expensive!). Good quality but installation was not a piece of cake. You have to read the instructions and follow them exactly -- ie. no shortcuts. IMHO the only reason the locks are there are to prevent the theft of the bag, not what's in it. If someone wants what's in the bag, that lock ain't a gonna keep them out, but it might discourage an impulse thief. I seldom lock the bags anymore unless I am in places where common sense demands it.

Having said all that, they do look good on the bike! If I had to do it again, I probably would still go with Boss.

Hubby really seems to like them and they look good on his bike....no regrets on either purchase except having to modify the easy bracket setup to get some support.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:46 PM
rvtglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put Boss Bags on my Super Glide earlier this year and am very pleased with them. They are pricey, but the quality is excellent. I was most interested in them being easily removable with no brackets being left on the bike. On my bags, you can use the master padlocks to either lock the bags on the bike or lock the lids to the bags.