General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOCO news from York, Pa Daily Newspaper

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts
Default MOCO news from York, Pa Daily Newspaper

This might be interesting for folks who don't live around here (York, Pa.) Manufacturing Home of the Harley Touring Bikes. The last two years have been tough on the employees, what with all the restructuring, closing of plants and layoffs going on.

May 25, 2010-The vice president for communications of Harley-Davidson has resigned for "personal reasons." Susan Henderson joined Harley in 2008 and had previously held high public relations or marketing posts with other major companies, like Kohl's and Miller Brewing.

May 19, 2010-The head of Harley's successful Harley Owners Group (HOG) initiatives is leaving the company, reportedly being replaced by another Harley official who will balance the duties along with others. Ralph "Benny" Suggs preceded his time as the head of HOG with a standout military career.

May 13, 2010-Harley has already begun chipping away at its union job cuts in Springettsbury Township, and now it has reportedly told salaried workers whether they will be staying on with a restructured company.
Harley held meetings recently with all of its roughly 260 salaried workers, telling about 100 of them that they won't have their positions by the end of the year or early next year. Harley outlined such cuts when it announced a plan to stay in York County but restructure local operations such that it would only employ about half the workforce it had at the time of the announcement -- and only about a third of the total employees it had three years ago.

April 16, 2010-Harley CEO Keith Wandell got some questions about job security going forward from a Milwaukee-area employee at the company's annual shareholder meeting this weekend.
She expressed a feeling in the unionized workforce that the workers aren't feeling the love, as she put it, from new management, according to The Business Journal of Milwaukee.
The event capped off an eventful week for Harley, which reported a profit in its most recent earnings statements Tuesday, said it would cut about 100 more workers in Springettsbury Township by early May, and then had to shut down Kansas City and Springettsbury operations because of a possible paint emissions issue.

May 27, 2010 Central Penn Business Journal-Harley-Davidson Inc. canceled the annual open house at its York County plant due to ongoing restructuring, the company said today. The Milwaukee-based motorcycle manufacturer said it did not feel it would have the necessary resources to provide the best experience for visitors. It will continue offering regular factory tours during the week.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:27 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering how many of the 100 salaried people are research and development rather than "managment" ? When you start firing the guys that make future models it's the kiss of death longterm.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:55 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know a test rider for the MOCO down in Ft.Myers who has been with them about 20 years. His future is now in limbo, the MOCO is using agencies to test the bikes now. They also closed the Talladega test facility. Doesn't look good does it?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:02 PM
TonyVT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the economy truly turns around so will Harley Davidson.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:15 AM
biggestdaddy
Intermediate

Was at York plant on April 21 or 22 with three other friends we rode in but was to late to take the tour, is was aroung 330pm some of the workers were coming out to go home we asked one worker to please take a pic of us in front of the sign. After he took the pic he told us that they (york harley plant) had just let go of 100 more peolpe today, that brought the work force down to 2000, i belive he said they were around 2800 last year, a get this the union told its members harley with in 12 to 18 months will cut the total work force down to 700. i asked who will do the work he said harley is going to out score thing to china like all the placstics, he was very worried and sad. he felt let down.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Hutmo
3rd Gear

Ahhhhhh. The jobless recovery continues.

HD will do what it needs to do to be profitable. Companies that cannot adapt or will not adapt will not make it.

HUTMO

Old 05-29-2010, 08:47 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biggestdaddy
Was at York plant on April 21 or 22 with three other friends we rode in but was to late to take the tour, is was aroung 330pm some of the workers were coming out to go home we asked one worker to please take a pic of us in front of the sign. After he took the pic he told us that they (york harley plant) had just let go of 100 more peolpe today, that brought the work force down to 2000, i belive he said they were around 2800 last year, a get this the union told its members harley with in 12 to 18 months will cut the total work force down to 700. i asked who will do the work he said harley is going to out score thing to china like all the placstics, he was very worried and sad. he felt let down.
I'd like to know more about HD doing the out source, outside the USA. This would be a mistake. It definetly would have an effect on were I spend my dollars.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:12 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

In this economy companies will cut to survive. Labor, management, out sourcing, etc. are all on the table and not just at HD. Would love to see it change and believe it will.......but not for a long time.

I hate to see anyone lose their job but I don't want MOCO to fold either.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mariner227
I'd like to know more about HD doing the out source, outside the USA. This would be a mistake. It definetly would have an effect on were I spend my dollars.
Well I hate to break the bad news to you but that 2010 Ultra Classic you just purchased is made with all kinds of different parts that were outsourced or made outside the good ole USA..........

Old 05-29-2010, 06:01 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,486 Posts

"Well I hate to break the bad news to you but that 2010 Ultra Classic you just purchased is made with all kinds of different parts that were outsourced or made outside the good ole USA.........."

Been that way for years. That would explain why, for example, your EVO carb will swap into many Suzuki and Honda bikes.

Quick Reply: MOCO news from York, Pa Daily Newspaper