General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about a no mar tire changer

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 PM
goblish
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about a no mar tire changer

I have read alot of posts about the no mar tire changer and i am wondering what model would be the best for me to change tires on a 2009 fatboy and also atv tires. What model have you guys used or seen, and is it worth the money to invest in the no mar. Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 AM
zam70
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use the one from harbor freight but purchased the MOJO tools and clamps...it's ends up being about half of what the no-mar would cost
It paid for itself in the first few months just doing my own tires and even do others for 20.00

Old 07-20-2010, 06:35 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a can of rubber coating and coat all your tools. I have heard of people use 2 litter bottles oven heated over your bars to coat them.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:17 AM
zam70
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The mojo blocks and tool are made out of Deleon and nylon.
No need to coat them

Old 07-20-2010, 07:18 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by zam70
I use the one from harbor freight but purchased the MOJO tools and clamps...it's ends up being about half of what the no-mar would cost
It paid for itself in the first few months just doing my own tires and even do others for 20.00
I did the same, it works OK, no damage to rims. I did bend the Mojo lever.
I also covered the bead breaker with rubber.
If I was to do it again I would just get the HF tire changer and make my own blocks. If the Mojo lever bends more I will try the No-mar lever.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 AM
onionfmr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a No Mar classic model tire changer. Got tired of dealers/others marking my rims, adding weights when I requested don't balance or just the inconvenience of having to drop off a wheel and wait for call to go back and pick it up. Plus, the local Harley dealers that I was using wouldn't mount a tire unless purchased directly from them. Pretty good savings to buy tires online from sources like Jake Wilson.

I've changed my Ultra tires and a friend's Goldwing E3's using the Classic model, worked great. I would recommend getting a rim clamp setup and a larger bead breaking bar if you are changing larger width tires. Their tire balancer works pretty good, also.

Call the No Mar people and talk to them about what size and type of tires you want to work on. Good people and they will guide you as to the best setup to accomplish your tire changing needs. No Mar changers aren't inexpensive, but for the above reasons works for me.

As a note, my friend has always had a problem with his front rim. 40,000 miles on 3 different tires and never felt right to him. So, we checked and marked heavy spot on rim after we demounted tire. Ended up mounting new tire and breaking the bead a couple of times (moving tire around the rim) to get it to balance correctly w/o using a lot of weights. He was amazed at how much better the front end felt to him after the tire change. Could've probably used Dynabeads to balance, however, he likes wheel weights.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

I use the Harbor Freight car changer $39. I bought the MC top section but rarely use it. No-Mar is nice stuff but a lot more money. I dipped the pieces of the changer that grip the wheel in some Home Depot latex coat, has stayed on for years. I just use regular old chrome MC tire irons and have no trouble. I used a tractor iron one time for a tough sport bike radial. The little rim protectors made from plastic are a good idea sometimes, but my best tool is a little pile of wooden strips. I have several 1x2 and 1/2 x 1 pieces about 6" long. As I am patiently working the tire onto the rim, these small pieces inserted between the tire and rim become brakes that don't allow the tire to backtrack. I use plenty of soapy water for lube and the process is very low effort. Levering the tire onto the rim is less likely to mar the rim if you're careful than a sliding bar is. To the best of my recollection I haven't made any marks and I've changed a few dozen tires.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:04 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some tools are cheaper than others and still don't no mar the wheel.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:35 PM
goblish
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks lots of good information, but one more question i have never changed a tire before but after watching the video on the no mar site I think I can tackle this project what do you guys think I suppose the worst I can do is wreck a 1,000 rim LOL

Old 07-20-2010, 07:56 PM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 453 Posts

I've got the Classic model as well, with the balancer. Once you learn how to use it, you'll be peeling tires off no problem. And as stated earlier....no getting raped by your dealer.....tires delivered to your door that you may have found for half price online......rainy day tire changes when you can't ride anyhow since you own your own tire changer. I love mine!!!

Quick Reply: question about a no mar tire changer