General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insta-Trike??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Hiram
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insta-Trike??

Has anybody heard or seen a product called an Insta-Trike www.tow-pacinc.com ? I saw this at a dealer on a Metric and it looks like training wheels on a bike. I'm sure the purpose is stability while towing a trailer, as that is what the manufacturer claims but it is also billed as a trike kit.

I'm having to take a serious look at trikes as the wife is terrified of bikes and the way they lean. She got a ride on an older GW trike the other day and thought she would like it. I really don't want to spend that kind of cash only to find that she couldn't handle that either, ergo, the question above.

I can fit one to her current bike ( they do make one for it, or I can fab one) and she can try a trike w/o major expenditures. I don't want to do this if it is not a stable platform or is dangerous. Thanks for your input.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Insta-Trike??

I think they're VERY dangerous. It would be very easy in a corner or turning maneuver for the weight to shift enough to the outside training wheel that you rear wheel (drive wheel) would come off the ground and then what????????????

Old 09-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Hiram
Road Captain

Hadn't thought of that. I was concerned about the weight shift only as far as the stability, but you're right, a little shift would cause your drive wheel to lose traction and thus power loss. We all know what happens with power loss in a curve.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:33 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member

I was looking at the site that you posted and it said that the "training wheels" had an indapendant suspension on them. That would make me think that your drive wheel wouldnt leave the ground unless in a very hard corner at a high rate of speed. The suspension on the ouside wheels I would think would flex causing the bike to still lean over through turns. Just my thoughts.

Chris

Old 09-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Hiram
Road Captain

I sat on the used one we saw at the dealer. It was on an S-50 Volusia. I leaned on it real hard, literally threw my weight side to side, it didn't budge. The back of the bike was sliding across the floor. Yes it does have a torsion suspension, but it's real stiff. Don't know if it's adjustable.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:49 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member

If that is the case, where the suspension is really hard and didnt budge when you threw your weight around on it, I personally would not go with something like that. The situation where your drive wheel would come off the ground sounds likely to occure then. Just my opinion.

Chris

Old 09-01-2006, 01:52 PM
tedali2004
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen many local riders with these. Not sure if they are the same brand. Nick name is out-riggers.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:33 PM
trike51
Intermediate

have her try a true trike and see if she likes it. I have a Lehman on an Ultra Classic and have no handling problems, not sure about the Insta Trike kit

Old 09-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode an ultra that had a very similar kit on it and I would never use one. a true trike has a differential and will corner. this thing is still using the rear (center wheel) to drive and it is very unstable in corners IMHO it is a death trap.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:08 PM
The HalfBreed
Road Master

I've seen those around somewhat.

It appears that is a cheaper alternative to "Trike-ing" the bike. Also, some folks want to ride, even tho they are not physically capable of either uprighting a bike if it fell, or they're too old to stabilize themselves at stop signs, lights, etc. I was doing Route 66 thru Missouri & Oklahoma a few months ago with a couple friends and came upon some "Trikers" near the Oklahoma Route 66 museum at an eatery. I told my friends that those bikes probably belong to some old folks who love riding, but may be 'aged'.

True to form, a woman in her mid 70's, and a guy in his late 70's emerged from the eatery while we were looking at their bikes. We congratulated them on having the biking spirit and wished them Sunshine and good traffic on their journey.

I should only be so lucky to be able to do that, well into MY 70's.

Quick Reply: Insta-Trike??