General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gel Seats - Do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gel Seats - Do they work?

OK, embarrassing to say but I'm thinking about getting a gel pad for long trips. Got a new 48 and took off the stock seat which was horrible (thats not the only reason I changed it - more so for style and looks) and replaced it with an HD spring seat. This is fine around town or for short hops but took the bike on a 120 mile trip and thought I was gonna die after a while. Supposed to be fun - not painful. Was thinking about getting one of those gel pads like a comfort max ( http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm ) or something similar. Without criticizing my old skinny *** - does anybody have any experience with these? Do they really work? Kinda pricey I thought but this monkey butt is for the young guys not for me anymore.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:53 AM
chrskrngl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any experience with what you are looking at but i did invest in a airhawk overlay a few years ago, and it certainly makes a difference. It is made by roho, who also makes wheelchair cushions for people that are at high risk for skin break-down so there is some documentation about how the technology works with pressure mapping.

You can read about it here if it interests you
http://www.therohostore.com/Departme...-Cushions.aspx

Old 08-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Geoff of NV
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, gel seats work. However, there is a downside. Left out in the sun the gel absorbs the heat and is slow to release it so your butt will be hotter than you'd like. Yes, I've been there. The best thing I've found is a sheepskin.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:21 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

I have an Airhawk pad and Momma uses a sheep skin gel pad on the back. The Airhawk doubles the amount of time I can stay in the saddle. Momma says her pad is big help too.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:32 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

I have been comfortable on the stock seat on my ultras for last 15 years but a cat scratched the seat on my 2008 and I got in contact with alligator bob in the Chicago area.He put a gel pad in my seat and I really notice the difference. The seat is much more comfortable and i have not experienced the heat problems mentioned here.
Again this is a ultra not a 48 so i dont know how this refers to your problems directly
Mazz

Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I like mine - more cushion is always a good thing. Also, in hot weather it's nice to have that pad between me and the seat. I think I paid $100.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,207 Likes on 3,173 Posts

I use a sheepskin gel pad on trips. It's great. I sweat alot, and sitting in my sweat is almost as bad as, .,.

well, it's great that the sweat can evaporate. Nomo monkeybutt.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I bought one of the HD circulator seat pads and love it last week went on 1800 mile trip and was more comfy than anything else I have tried and I have tried alot of things to get a longer ride.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:31 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My seat, the rear seat for mama, and both back rests. I'm old and like comfort. they do allow me to ride at least twice as far as I could without them.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:47 PM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,621 Likes on 427 Posts

Well, since you asked.....I've got a Harley Air Zeppelin, and I also use a gel pad and an Airhawk. I change every couple hours. There isn't a clear winner, I rotate all of them on long ( 700+ mile ) trips.

Quick Reply: Gel Seats - Do they work?