General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPA and Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 05:20 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EPA and Motorcycles

It's been talked about for quite sometime now about the EPA changing the rules on motorcycle exhause emissions and how they are going to affect us (riders) and the manufacturers. We've all said that we need to get organizations like the AMA and even that the MOCO should get involved. Well, they have. While the AMA and other motorcyclist rights organizations have given objections about the changes coming the EPA has determined that they will go ahead and make the changes. Harley-Davidson and other motorcycle manufacturers said that they support the changes and will comply by 2006. All this happened in 2003 and the manufacturers said they would comply in time.

If you want to read the report on it CLICK HERE.

It did dispel one myth for me and that's that trucks and SUVs put out more exhaust than motorcycles. Turns out it's not true. It's actually an interesting read. (I didn't read all 149 pages).

***Note: the attached link just shows an explanation of the proposals and the rebuttals. The final results may be different from what was said then.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: EPA and Motorcycles

Nice post, thanks for the info...

Ryan

Old 06-22-2005, 05:35 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, what dose all this mean for us riders? From now on is it stock pipes only on motorcycles? No more "Loud pipes save lives" t-shirts? Since the sound is a huge part of a Harley, how will this effect Harley Davidson? Help me out. What does the future of motorcycling look like?

Old 06-22-2005, 10:24 AM
wingnut79
Advanced

I read through a few pages of the intro and parts of section 7 which pertain to customizing bikes. It looks like after-market stuff is still allowed only if it doesn't "disable" any emmisions control systems. So I guess if they stick a catalytic converter on your bike you aren't allowed to remove it. Only place I guess they could put a converter would be inline with your pipes so full pipe replacement with another set without a converter would be illegal.

I'm wondering what the rules will be for things like a Power Commander. One can definitely screw around with fuel mixture and as a result jack up emmisions.

Guess I'm going to do the Stage I and possible Power Commander upgrade this year just to avoid any questions. I don't think this applies to any bikes before 2006, but I'd rather just do it and not face any hassles later.

Kent

Old 06-22-2005, 01:03 PM
87fxrs
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: 12Stones

It's been talked about for quite sometime now about the EPA changing the rules on motorcycle exhause emissions and how they are going to affect us (riders) and the manufacturers. We've all said that we need to get organizations like the AMA and even that the MOCO should get involved. Well, they have. While the AMA and other motorcyclist rights organizations have given objections about the changes coming the EPA has determined that they will go ahead and make the changes. Harley-Davidson and other motorcycle manufacturers said that they support the changes and will comply by 2006. All this happened in 2003 and the manufacturers said they would comply in time.

If you want to read the report on it CLICK HERE.

It did dispel one myth for me and that's that trucks and SUVs put out more exhaust than motorcycles. Turns out it's not true. It's actually an interesting read. (I didn't read all 149 pages).

***Note: the attached link just shows an explanation of the proposals and the rebuttals. The final results may be different from what was said then.
There was a great article in laymans terms in last months Hot Bike magazine. It was in a FAQ format.

...mike

Old 06-22-2005, 01:12 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like after-market stuff is still allowed only if it doesn't "disable" any emmisions control systems.
Except I have heard that any after-market stuff that requires rejetting or remapping is not allowed. That really limits your options.

Also, catalytic converters are not your friend. That does nothing, but give the EPA an excuse to produce inferior oil. The EPA has/has wanted to limit phosphorus (an anit-wear agent, arguably the most effective) use in oils because years down the line it can clog your catalytic converter. So now your engine has to suffer because 10 years down the line a part that costs 10 cents to make will have to be replaced. Looks like they would rather have you replace your engine. What a bunch of swell guys huh?

Old 06-22-2005, 02:23 PM
greenbayhog
Cruiser

Here are my thoughts. I dont think this will be as big a deal as it seems. Cars and trucks have had restrictions on emissons. However there is a way around it. A cat converter can be removed and bypassed. Will it be legal?? NO! But its not legal to run SEIIs on our bikes either yet we still do it. Unless they start making bikes take emissons tests like they do in some states for cars we should be ok. Will it be a hassle ofcourse most govt laws are. Will it ruin Harley? I doubt it.
Just my 2 cents.
GBH

Old 06-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts

This is really serious guys!

It's not just about emmisions, it also includes aftermarket builders and customizers. One rule attached is that a owner will only be allowed one custom in their life. Only allowed to make and own one custom bike in your entire life!!!!!!!

Think about it!

We really should be starting a petition for re-evalulation of the upcomming changes, and we as a group should notify every single person we know about he upcomming rules, and ask them to sign. I'm up for helping with this project, but we will need a few people to help with this, since it will be a huge undertaking to get a large petition started and advertised.

Old 06-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

Why isn't Harley fighting this? I could see the others thinking this is a good idea, because it will take some of the apeal of Harleys away, and that should help their sales. But, why is Harley not doing somthing to stop this?

I agree with the petition idea and am willing to help. I will also bring this up at our next ABATE meeting.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:34 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I sign. Maybe we send to our congresperson. I would think all manufactures would be affected.

Quick Reply: EPA and Motorcycles