General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andrews EV27 Cam shim .055 ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:53 PM
blair
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Andrews EV27 Cam shim .055 ???

I am going to install my Andrews EV27 cam and dont want to remove the Tappet blocks (because I dont have the allignment pins ) , is a .055 cam shim ok ?? New Torrington bearing and ez install pushrods to install as well. My bike is a 1996 FXDWG . No lifters because it only has 7000 miles on the Evo engine. Need some feed back as to what size cam shim that works with the Andrews EV27. What size did you use ??

Old 03-15-2011, 10:38 PM
jrice1959
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should measure the andrews cam as compared to the stock cam from the cam gear to the cam shoulder where the cam shim butts up to. Mine was a .055 difference and that was the shim I used for a EV 23 cam. If you don't have the ability to actually measure the difference, most say go with the .055. I also used loctite on the flat surfaces when tightening down the adjustable pushrods. Heard a lot of folks say they tend to back off. I haven't had any problems with them. Very quite. A little more noise out of the front exhaust lifter, but that is normal (need a mechanics stethoscope to hear it). Have fun!

Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it is .055 shim. The harley dealer has them in stock. I still pulled my lifter blocks so I could check the cam endplay with a feeler guage after installing the nosecone.
You don't have to buy the alignment tool, a 1/4" bolt with a countersink phillips head works fine.
I also pressed the gear off my old cam and pressed it on the EV27 to eliminate the gear whine.

Also if you're going to adjustable pushrods, make sure you don't get fat ones. They'll drive you crazy clacking against the inside of the pushrod tubes. Especially the front one. If I had it to do over again, I would probably stick with the stock pushrods.
Here is a link to my pushrod noise problem, and what I had to do to get them quiet. What a pain in the ***.
http://www.capitalhosting.ca/harley/valvetrain/

Last edited by Stubby3492; 03-16-2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:28 AM
blair
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the Andrews EV27 cam in last weekend . I used a .055 shim .Andrews says between .010-.015 end play in the cam , mine was .013 . New torington bearing . I ran the bike on Sunday past , What a difference in the performance. I all so installed a single fire ignition ,Dynojet kit and a new breather . Smiles all around.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:13 PM
burgs
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey there.
I was reading through this thread and thought I would drop in a question. I run an ev 27 on my 95 bad boy. ( along with a mikuni 42 and Dyna ignition. I find second gear runs out of juice earlier than I would like but third pulls and pulls. I know its a mid range cam but I had an ev27 on a road king a few years back and I don't seem to remember this being the case then. Anyone got ideas on this, or have a similar experience with it?

Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by burgs
hey there.
I was reading through this thread and thought I would drop in a question. I run an ev 27 on my 95 bad boy. ( along with a mikuni 42 and Dyna ignition. I find second gear runs out of juice earlier than I would like but third pulls and pulls. I know its a mid range cam but I had an ev27 on a road king a few years back and I don't seem to remember this being the case then. Anyone got ideas on this, or have a similar experience with it?

The EV27 should pull strong in all gears. I suspect you have a jetting issue if it pulls in 3rd and not as well in 2nd gear. You should be bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:34 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Pull the damn lifter blocks and do it right. You don't need the alignment pins. I ended up needing a .070 shim with my EVL3010 to give me .010 of play.

This is twinkie rider **** here.. "don't want to pull the lifter blocks". Come on man...

EDIT: Damn... you necro posters got me again. Looks like OP did his cam job 4 years ago. lol

Old 02-23-2015, 12:18 PM
burgs
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks nhrider. I figured something like that. I'll get to it and let you know how I get on.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:49 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Pull the damn lifter blocks and do it right. You don't need the alignment pins. I ended up needing a .070 shim with my EVL3010 to give me .010 of play.

This is twinkie rider **** here.. "don't want to pull the lifter blocks". Come on man...

EDIT: Damn... you necro posters got me again. Looks like OP did his cam job 4 years ago. lol
LMFAO!!!!! I hate when I do that, I need to learn to look at the post date myself.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:38 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter

Sounds like a V-thunder cam you used not an andrews , they measure up a shade different and good choice on your part I am not an andrews fan.

Quick Reply: Andrews EV27 Cam shim .055 ???