General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, this motorcycle thing didn't work out too well - Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Markus161
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, this motorcycle thing didn't work out too well - Update

So I won a 2010 Road King Classic in a charity raffle, and decided I'd take a MSF class and learn how to ride. I completed the class over the weekend and did fairly well. I took the bike out to a school parking lot tonight and started to get a feel for it. Needless to say, I dropped the bike gently twice, and one time I ended up on the ground after giving it too much throttle when trying to turn right from a complete stop. I also didn't feel very comfortable with the bike in general

Thankfully I'm not hurt, but my pride and ego are damaged. I've come to realize that it is way too much bike for me and will be selling the bike.

Now my question is, I'd still like a cruiser since I'm a bigger guy and not a fan of the sport bikes. Any suggestions or help on something that might suit me better, even if it's not a Harley? Thanks in advance for your help
So that was back in August. Won a Road King Classic in a charity raffle. While practicing one day I dropped the bike and became very discouraged and came here looking for some advice. Most people said to keep the bike and practice on it, or buy a smaller metric bike and practice on it for a while to hone my skills.

So in October I found a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic that was being sold by a local Harley dealer of all places. Went down, checked out the bike, and bought it the next day. I took the Road King and stored it in a buddy's garage for the winter and started riding the Kawasaki.

1600 miles later I figured it was time to take the Road King out of storage and get it ready to ride since the weather was getting better and the Kawasaki, while a great bike to learn on, was definitely lacking some punch. I've been riding the Road King and definitely feel that my time on the smaller bike was well worth the time and investment.

Does that make me a pro, not by any means. Does it make me a more confident rider, by all means yes. The experience of riding the Road King now is like night and day compared to when I tried to learn on it in August. Now that the weather is right I plan on riding alot more and practicing with the "Ride Like A Pro"DVD and drills.

Thanks to everyone who was positive in my original post and talked me into keeping the big bike. I definitely would have kicked myself in the *** had I sold it. I will however be cleaning up the Kawasaki and putting it up for sale this week. Stay safe and maybe I'll see you out there sometime.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats. Stay safe. Nice to see the forum is usefull for more than what oil to use.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:59 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you kept the RKC...have fun and be careful out there!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:01 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

There ya go now have some damm fun on it!!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay vertical man

from a guy still working on that

Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

Cool, Now the real fun begins. Be safe.

chamokie
Supporter
Received 243 Likes on 107 Posts

That is great news, not so much you are keeping the RKC, but you now feel safe and not nervous. Enjoy your bike and ALWAYS watch out for the "other" guy.

Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Kudos to you for being persistent and willing to continue after a shaky start. Most people would've off-loaded the bike & never looked back. Welcome to your new found hobby & look forward to many miles of memories & smiles. Great success story!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 PM
bpete
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool story. That's what I'm talkin' about. Ride safe.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good deal now shut up and get out and ride for goodness sake! Just teasing glad to hear it worked out for you. Now seriously get out and enjoy the ride and be safe!

Quick Reply: Well, this motorcycle thing didn't work out too well - Update