General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone from Knoxville TN / Clinton Tn area

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 10:51 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default anyone from Knoxville TN / Clinton Tn area

Coming down to check out a job and wondered if anyone was from that area.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:31 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Went to Anderson County High, grew up in Heiskell (Anderson Co.), go to Clinton all the time. Ask anything you need to know about the area, they are my old stompin' grounds! Welcome to East Tennessee!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 03:52 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member

Thanks for the reply, company is Shawmut they are a supplier to the auto industry. also what are the winters like in that neck of tn? How far is it from clinton to the marysville harley smoky mountian harley and the tail of the dragon. Can i expect a good riding season in that part of tn? I live in ohio now and i ride year round if no snow on the ground.
What are the housing cost like in clinton area and cost of living? Is it a good area?

Old 09-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

I am about 125 miles West of Knoxville and where you are talking is one of the best places for riding.. Enjoy..

Old 09-24-2011, 05:41 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
Thanks for the reply, company is Shawmut they are a supplier to the auto industry. also what are the winters like in that neck of tn? How far is it from clinton to the marysville harley smoky mountian harley and the tail of the dragon. Can i expect a good riding season in that part of tn? I live in ohio now and i ride year round if no snow on the ground.
What are the housing cost like in clinton area and cost of living? Is it a good area?
Sure thing! My old H.S. was in downtown Clinton and I know that place like the back of my hand. Not as much as Dickey knows the back of his hand, but that is another issue entirely!
The winters here are actually not bad at all. We get a couple of snow showers each year, and one good snow for a few days every two or three years. By decent snow, I mean it will have 4 or 5 inches which melts in a few days, nothing like you will likely be used to up north. Clinton is about 45 minutes from Maryville, the H-D dealership is in the heart of Maryville. I personally live about twenty minutes from the Dragon, now and Clinton is about an hour North of the Dragon, not a bad ride at all. While the Dragon is a lot of fun, there is a small town adjacent to Clinton called Norris. It is a very small town. Norris also has some beautiful scenery, including the Norris Dam State park. Norris is about ten minutes ride from downtown Clinton. On the other side of Clinton, about a half an hour or so away, is Oak Ridge, which has Big Ed's... a world famous "old school Italian" pizza restaurant. Your riding season can start as soon as Feb. or March, but typically really kicks off around April, and goes deep into November, some years. The summers are hot, but not too hot. We average a few 90 degree days per year, although this year we had more than average, as the entire country did. Cost of living in Clinton is extremely reasonable. You will want to stay away from West Knoxville, as the prices in this area are through the roof. If there are some homes or apartments you are interested in, I will be happy to take a look at them for you, and take some pictures. Makes it easier than having to move blindly, off "stock" or "favorable" pictures that some realtors use. The fall here is mild and beautiful.
As far as crime, Knoxville is a peaceful town, for being a large city. Clinton is much smaller, and the crime rate is much lower. Very safe! Also, being in the mountains area of East Tennessee, we don not really worry about tornadoes around here. The weather around these parts is very mild and pleasant.
As for entertainment, there are two large malls in Knoxville. East Towne Mall/Knoxville Center is not bad, but West Town Mall is much nicer and more developed. Gatlinburg is about an hour from Clinton, 30 minutes from Knoxville, and there is EVERYTHING to do in Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg including Dollywood, restaurants, museums, hot rod museums, and about a thousand different themed mini-golf courses and go cart tracks.
Hope this helps! If there is anything else I can do for ya (list of good restaurants, hotels, good places to stay, etc), just let me know.

And now for the question you wanted to ask, but did not. There are two Hooters in the city of Knoxville, staffed accordingly.

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
I am about 125 miles West of Knoxville and where you are talking is one of the best places for riding.. Enjoy..
Man, the OP just doesn't know until he gets here, just how true this is!

Old 09-24-2011, 06:15 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member

Cool thanks for all the info as it is planned right now i will be flying in thursday evening and interviewing friday morning at 8am and then probably flying back friday night. That is the plan as of today. Will know more monday or tuesday.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:48 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lived in Crossville area a couple years! Some of the best riding I ever did!
Cost of living is low compared to the rest of the country. Good luck to you!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:08 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member

thanks old dude

Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't beat East Tennessee for riding. Housing here is very affordable and our wages are NOT taxed by the state. Winters are mild, very mild in the valley, but if you want a taste of snow, the Cherohala Skyway is 1 hour south of Knoxville and snow is very common up there in winter months. Smokey Mt., Harley-Davidson is the best dealer in the area. The dragon is a ride but is not the best we have to offer here, just the most popular for some reason. Big lakes, pretty mountains, and good BBQ. It can't be better!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:16 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member

i love the area, been on trips there in past with family spend week and half in gatlinburg went to cades cove, up the newfoundgap etc, then went back on the bike road dragon, cherohala skyway, 28 to cherokee, went up to smokey mt hd was a nice place. Im thinking i could live there lol.

Quick Reply: anyone from Knoxville TN / Clinton Tn area