General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 06:34 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom Seat Question

OK, here is the deal. I am looking to have a custom seat made that with a little work will match the paint on my bike. Two things, first who would you recommend ?

Second lets see the pics of your custom seats ?

Old 12-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Alias
Road Master
Default RE: Custom Seat Question

Toy,

I'm really not sure who you should get to make your seat for you, but what ever you do DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT let Alligator Bob touch it!

I had him cover a seat for me in alligator skin. The alligator part looks great, but he put some type of Scottish cow hide on the sides in a tan color that does not in anyway match the the Champlain color of the alligator skin.

I told him my bike was flat black with very little chrome and the seat would be the only color on the bike and it would be the vocal point of the bike.

I paid $2,000.00 for the seat and $168.00 shipping so I could get the seat in time for Biketober Fest in Daytona this past year.

The seat arrived the day before I had to leave for Daytona. It didn't look good right out of the box. The colors did not match.

I'm an airbrush artist and pinstriper, I have been doing this type of work more than 40 years. I know a little bit about color matching. This bike was going to be my show piece this year. I was going to pinstripe and airbrush it at my booth to show how I work.

After looking at the seat on the bike and showing it to more than 30 people there was know way I could use the seat on that bike.

I called Alligator Bob and told him the colors did not match and I would not be able to use the seat on the bike and was there anyway to dye the sides black, it would match a little better. He said dyeing the seat would ruin the Scottish leather and not to do that. He said to go ahead a use the seat for a few weeks, he was sure most people would not notice the colors not matching and I would grow to like it.

He also said he uses this same Scottish cow hide on show bikes and has never had a complaint. That is provable true as the workmanship was top quality, the color matching sucks, the seat looks like crap but it's put togather really good.

This is the same Alligator Bob that has done some seats for the guys a OCC.

Not only was the shipping $168.00 back to me, I paid for shipping the seat to him in the first place. I paid $200.00 for a Badlander seat so he would have a seat pan for my seat.

The bottom line is I have almost $2,500.00 in a custom made seat that I will never be able to use and it looks like CRAP to boot!

Old 12-16-2006, 08:03 PM
metal_mike
Road Warrior

2k for a seat?

there are a couple of really talented leather workers i found on another forum one is roberti custom and the other is dreamevil designs.
these guys will do you right for much much less believe me!

just google either

Old 12-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hand tool and lace custom saddles....email me if you are interested.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:24 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member

butcher,

PM'd you...

Old 12-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Alias
Road Master