General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom passing lamp kit??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Custom passing lamp kit??

"Need some Help" Im installing the custom passing lamp kit with the bullet turn signal kit on my 2005 electra glide classic and I have read all the install instructions also I have an oem harley service manual to help me, but I do not understand how the wiring goes? they give you a bunch of butt splice connectors but I would think I would be able to just crimp on a new connectors to the wires coming from the new passing lamps/turn signals and plug them right into the connectors already under the fairing that are there for the original passing lamps and turn signals that I had on the bike one is a 2 place white connector for my passing lamps and the other is a 6 place black connector for my turn signals any help or suggestions would much appreciated..............

Thanx

Last edited by badazzpred; 04-22-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I just cut the connector ends off of the old passing lights and soldered them onto the new lights. Staggered the solder joints, covered each one with heat shrink, and then another section of heat shrink around the wire bundle. I measured how long I wanted the wires to be so there wasn't too much excess, and tucked everything up all skookum into my nacelle. I don't like butt splices either.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:07 AM
badazzpred
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I just cut the connector ends off of the old passing lights and soldered them onto the new lights. Staggered the solder joints, covered each one with heat shrink, and then another section of heat shrink around the wire bundle. I measured how long I wanted the wires to be so there wasn't too much excess, and tucked everything up all skookum into my nacelle. I don't like butt splices either.

Yeah that might be a possibilty, however I sold my original passing lamp assembly minus the bulbs and rings I needed to keep for this kit and when I removed it from my bike I kept everything as in wiring intact no cutting so those connectors went with the original set

Old 04-22-2012, 11:31 AM
badazzpred
Road Warrior

Bump..............

Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

What have you been doing for front turn signals in the meantime?

You're just going to have to go buy the pins and connectors and re-make the ends.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:20 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
What have you been doing for front turn signals in the meantime?

You're just going to have to go buy the pins and connectors and re-make the ends.

My bike turned into a winter custom project and its still not road ready yet so I havent had the need for turn signal use yet, but yes I thought that I might just have to go to the stealership and purchase the necessary plugs I would need, the original passing lamps/turn signals that came on the bike from the factory only had 2 plugs so I dont understand why the custom set would wire in any different? they both use the same passing lamps and use turn signals the only ? I have is if I go get the 2 plugs I need I dont quite get how the new wires from the right/left side customs would work with the plugs? after you put everything together from the kit and mount them on the bike you have 4 wires hanging from each side a gray, blue, black, violet/brown, well the 2 grays and the 2 blacks 4 in total need to go to a 2 pin plug huh for the lamps? and the 2 blues and the violet/browns 4 in total go to a 6 pin plug huh for the turn signals? you follow what Im getting at? do you remember when you wired your kit in how the wiring went?

Thanx

Old 04-22-2012, 08:48 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior

Does anyone know if there are photos or more info on this set-up somewhere?

Thanx

Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

If this is the HD Custom Aux Light Kit/part# 69818-06 then you are correct w/the confusing & cryptic instructions. I ended up reading them X5 times & still pretty much "winged" the install as I went along. If I recall correctly - the BLU, PURP & BLK wires on each side are for your fron signals (run/turn and they connect into the wiring harnesses under inner fairing. Should be a 4-pin connector & both side wiring should be 1-BLU/2-PURP/3-BLK/4-empty. The GRY wire w/BLK stripe should be for your passing/aux lamps and if I recall correctly it goes into the "empty" slot on each 4-pin connector you just used for connecting signals. That's what the duetsch pins are for & you'll need a crimping tool to attach them. Then you just have to ensure your aux switch is wired just like instructions to make everything work. Good luck!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by badazzpred
Does anyone know if there are photos or more info on this set-up somewhere?

Thanx
Ahhh, I get you now.

I'll look when I get home to see if I made notes to myself on the wiring convention for the two plugs. I might even have a pic or two on my digital camera, I'll look for you.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

I think the single wires for the passing lights went into the two-pin connector, the run/turn signal lights to the four-pin. Can you look at the connectors on the bike side to match up the wiring from the lights?

Quick Reply: Custom passing lamp kit??