General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
How Much does a Dyno Tune Cost?
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/genera...tune-cost.html

Issue:
User felt that a Dyno Tune was too costly and asked the community for their opinion. The community offers their feedback on pricing, and recommendations

Read below for full discussion…
Print Wikipost

How much does a dyno tune cost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts
Default How much does a dyno tune cost?

Ok I know I'm gona take a beating on this thread, but I talked to a local dyno tuning shop about getting my bike tuned, his price was $400. He said the reason for this is because my bike is equiped with the SE Pro Tuner and they require more time to dial in than a power comander equiped bike. He also said that I am more than welcome to hang out while he does the runs and watch him do the adjustments. This is from his website " We do not just tune for wide open throttle and max power. Our custom maps include changes for all rpms and throttle positions." When I talked to him on the phone he explained to me that his goal is to get excellent ridability and longevity from my engine and he told me that he does several bikes for our local dealers. I dont mind paying a professional to do a professional job (I won't work for free). After screwing arround using the smart tune software I'm wondering how long is it going to take me to get this right, its hard to get all of those cells fillled riding on the street, and how much harm am I going to cause riding it out of tune in the process. My goal isn't to have my dyno sheet framed and hanging in the motorcycle hall of fame, I just want it to be right and get what I'm paying for with my mods. As always your feedback and experience is very appreciated.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You never go wrong, having a proffesional do what you can not do yourself.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

To me, it sounds like you found one of the good ones...

Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have had 3 done. The first one cost $100, it wasn't worth half what I paid, he did tune wot and it made 105hp. The second one cost $425, I got that same line of bs , I am an expert tuner, blah blah blah. When I got it redone the tech showed me what the so called expert had done, raised the rev limiter to 7000 rpm and many other mistakes. He tuned all sorts of throttle positions, and it made 96 hp, nice huh. But he did tell me how much better it should run than it did before, yeah right buddy. Took forever too, no wonder he charged $425. The third guy cost $250, he took about 3-4 hours and got the bike tuned very well. Makes in the teen's both hp and tq, throttle response is amazing and he called me the day after he tuned the bike to ask if the ride home went well and to tell me if down the road I had any tuning issues, not to hesitate to bring it back in, no charge. You guess what amount I think is fair for a dyno tune?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:22 PM
TexasJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
To me, it sounds like you found one of the good ones...
Could not agree more. Sounds like he is intent on doing it correctly.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imo, a good tuner is worth every penny. The guy who tuned mine charged 3 hours of labor and backs his tune. I think it was 240.00...

Last edited by Rooster37; 04-26-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

I paid $300.00 for mine. At 70mph it reverts back to stock AFR to regain my fuel milage. I dont race my bike so no need to have all kinds of tricky changes. The bike runs cool makes good HP/TQ. And I still get up to 48mpg, depending on how I ride.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:37 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dyno

Just got mine done. He charged me $250 for the first map and $20 for the second map. I have PC 5 and have a performance map and economy map. He also tunes at 5% throttle intervals.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 PM
TBeghtol
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hey Fishcop!

hey man, who did you use in Vegas for your dyno? Thinking of using Las Vegas Dyno Tech out at the speedway heard good things about them.

Interested in your input.

Tim

Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Cost me $250 for a custom tune. Took 3 hours. Stay away from anyone wanting to charge you per hour for tuning your bike. All he's doing is practicing on your dime.

Quick Reply: How much does a dyno tune cost?