General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Many of you having "defect" type issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 02:37 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Many of you having "defect" type issues?

Just about everyone i know that rides, has a big glide. Im the only one with a Softie

Most of the guys have been riding 20+ years, have owned 10+ bikes, ride cross country and back once a year, you know the type.

Those same guys are all telling me how they are all having engine issues on their brand new bikes. One bike in particular is a 2012 road glide ultra, and has had the motor rebuilt twice now by Harley. The first time the stater bolt drilled itself out and right through the primary, the second time he had terrible pinging under normal conditions.

The rest of the guys have similar "defect" type of issues. I doubt it can be isolated to just these newer bikes (they all have 2012's i believe) because the engine hasn't changed.

So i was wondering, is it just a coincidence that all my friends have issues with their bikes? Or are there known issues or something?

Im asking because im considering buying a Glide myself. Id also love to rebut some of their complaints somehow, and prevent them from thinking anti-harley lol

Old 06-29-2012, 03:24 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I also ride with lots of people on touring Harleys and non of them really have any issues. Must be coincidence.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:45 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

This has been my experience with my 09 Rad King over approximately a 36 months period and 51k miles. Currently the bike as 56k miles.

Stator replaced, plug leaking oil – Warranty
Stator replaced - burned out
Starter Solenoid replaced - Warranty
Run/Stop Switch replaced – Warranty
4 Point docking defective replaced - Warranty
Front Wheel bearings replaced at 11k mikes – Bike towed - Warranty
ABS light steady on/ Ziptie problem – fixed for a while
ABS light steady on not working/broken wire - fixed myself
Shifter Shaft replaced - Warranty
Output Gear Seal-Inner Primary Seal replaced - Warranty
Heel Shifter replaced - Warranty
Brake Light switch meltdown replaced before recall - Warranty
Brake Light switch replaced recall - Recall
Saddle Bag latch replaced - Warranty
Starter Motor replaced - Warranty
Cupped Front tire replaced 11k miles before recall was issued
ABS download to adjust the sensitivity – Recall

The bike as been in the shop more than 7 times to fix the more than 15 problems over a 36 month period. That works out to every 5 months over a 36 month period the bike needed some form of attention, other than routine service. I was able to work almost all of these issues around scheduled service and it did not cause much of a hardship. 90% of these issues were covered under warranty with no arguments from the dealer, very good dealer network.

Then there are a thing or two that I think will give me problems, like the God awful noise it makes sometimes when starting, could it be the well designed Compensator? I’ve said it before the bike reminds me of my 1976 CB750F which always got me there but required some tinkering. Every problem I’ve had I’ve been able to find other owners who had the same problem.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:10 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I don't have a touring bike so I suppose I shouldn't even respond but I'm going to because I'm bored and it's just to damned hot to go riding for the sake of riding right now.

05 FL Softail, 62,000 miles.

Shifter shaft seal replaced, it was starting to weep a small amount and since the inner primary was off for a mod I went ahead and replaced it (it's really a good idea to replace any time the inner primary is removed).

Cam chain tensioner's upgraded to hydraulic at 45,000 miles although they could have probably gone another 25,000 but I just didn't trust em.

That's it.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:48 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

2011 Triglide: CB did not work when delivered, Voltage regulator failed, reverse motor fell off, rubber separated from the cord on the front tire . All repaired under warranty

Old 06-29-2012, 08:21 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Yeah, my motor has been consuming oil excessively and I have a 2011 RGU. It has 3k miles on it.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Funny you should ask. My bike is in the shop now.
Check out the photo. As you can see, its a pretty major issue.
More to follow. I am in contact with the Moco and the dealer is the absolute BEST. I will fill in the details when all is resolved.
OOPS, its not a bagger but the issues still remain.
MikeM

Attached Thumbnails Many of you having "defect" type issues?-dscn3697.jpg  
Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only defect I have is I drink too much beer on the weekends....Oppps, Nevermind!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:25 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by EricD10563
I’ve said it before the bike reminds me of my 1976 CB750F which always got me there but required some tinkering. Every problem I’ve had I’ve been able to find other owners who had the same problem.
Those CB750's are one of the most enduring and bulletproof ricers these days. Fun as hell to ride, too...

Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,647 Likes on 4,633 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
The only defect I have is I drink too much beer on the weekends....Oppps, Nevermind!
thats not what the wife said!!

Quick Reply: Many of you having "defect" type issues?