General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retorque Loctited Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Orange Smoothie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retorque Loctited Bolts?

Looked on the Loctite site and couldn't find any info. Does anyone know if you are supposed to check/retorque bolts that are loctited, or will this break the bond of the loctite and cause the bolt to loosen over time? If it matters I use the RED Loctite (special 2 gallon Harley owners tube), as the BLUE failed quickly for highway pegs. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange Smoothie
Looked on the Loctite site and couldn't find any info. Does anyone know if you are supposed to check/retorque bolts that are loctited, or will this break the bond of the loctite and cause the bolt to loosen over time? If it matters I use the RED Loctite (special 2 gallon Harley owners tube), as the BLUE failed quickly for highway pegs. Thanks.
Once it hardens if you re torque them you break the bond. The key is to tap and die the parts then apply loctite of choice and torque to preference.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

shouldn't ever be a need to do a retorque with locktite---------------maybe you misused it on something that has a recommended retorque .If that is the case you might need to rethink the whole deal------------------I locktite everything that bolts on my old evo just so pieces don't fly off but I am cautious on engine pieces that might be affected by bolt stretch etc.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by 3408pete
shouldn't ever be a need to do a retorque with locktite---------------maybe you misused it on something that has a recommended retorque .If that is the case you might need to rethink the whole deal------------------I locktite everything that bolts on my old evo just so pieces don't fly off but I am cautious on engine pieces that might be affected by bolt stretch etc.
A good way to check for stretch that you cant see is to run a die down the bolt and see how tight it feels. FWIW

Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If you use the red loctite....they are on there. You will need to heat them to break the bond to remove them.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check torque to minimum torque specified, if it yields and moves, it needs to be disassembled and properly loctited and torqued anyway.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
If you use the red loctite....they are on there. You will need to heat them to break the bond to remove them.
That's what is says, but I have loosened red loctite just fine(without heat), at least on smaller bolts. I still use blue, but in a pinch I will use red. I wouldn't try it on a bigger bolt though, that would become a real bitch to get off later I think.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep using that red stuff - soon you'll find out why it's a PITA.
ALWAYS clean the threads before applying. If you clean the threads the blue stuff works every bit as well and you have the added benefit of being able to remove the bolt without resorting to 400 degree heat.

Do not re-torque after using Loctite - it will break the bond and you'll have to start all over.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Keep using that red stuff - soon you'll find out why it's a PITA.
Try it on your spark plugs......

Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DDuess
Check torque to minimum torque specified, if it yields and moves, it needs to be disassembled and properly loctited and torqued anyway.

This is the only correct answer.

Quick Reply: Retorque Loctited Bolts?