General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post neck surgery riding pain????

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Post neck surgery riding pain????

I had a spinal fusion done for a severe herniation in C6-C7 back in March. The surgery cured most of my day to day activity pain. But here I am 6 months out of surgery and I still have pain when riding long distances. Prior to surgery my day to day pain was in the right side of my neck, shoulder and down into my arm and lower back. The pain I get now while riding is in the left side of my neck and into the top of my shoulder. I have discussed this with my surgeon but he does not ride so he can only guess what factors may be causing the pain. I have come up with some possibilities myself.

• Wind pressure on my head intensified by my helmet
  • Arm and shoulder position while riding
  • Back pressure from the sitting position
  • General vibration radiating up my spine

Has anyone with this or a similar surgery had post surgery riding pain that would not go away. If so did you ever pinpoint what the cause was. Or is this just a fact of life that I may have to deal with.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:50 PM
baimo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had lower back surgery twice. both partial lamenectomies. I feel much better now but the Dr warned me that cetrain activities which jar your body will bother me. They included jogging, tennis, bicycle, horseback and motorcycle riding. I try to take it easy when I am in pain or numb.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:28 PM
bogies87
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup... C-6 C-7 discectomy and spinal fusion (titanium plate and screws). 0 pain prior to surgery, I had no feeling in my right 1st, 2nd and third finger. My arm was numb from the shoulder down. Since surgery (18 mos. ago) I have constant pain. Some days I can't hardly make it home from work so I can lay my head on the pillow to take the pressure off my neck.
Riding hurts but no more than anything else I do.
I have spike to many, many people that have had the same surgery and all have said the pain never goes away.
I have learned to cope with it the best I can.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bogies87
Yup... C-6 C-7 discectomy and spinal fusion (titanium plate and screws). 0 pain prior to surgery, I had no feeling in my right 1st, 2nd and third finger. My arm was numb from the shoulder down. Since surgery (18 mos. ago) I have constant pain. Some days I can't hardly make it home from work so I can lay my head on the pillow to take the pressure off my neck.
I have spike to many, many people that have had the same surgery and all have said the pain never goes away.
Damn. Sorry to read that. Sounds like a trade off that maybe didn't work to your advantage. Sometimes that is how it shakes out.

Many years ago I was in a roll over tractor accident. Severely dislocated shoulder. The surgery fixed the damn thing from popping out throughout the day but I have almost zero range in lifting my arm up. Oh well, it was a trade off that I don't mind and as you said, you just live with it.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM
fattybob
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a C-spine fusion across C4-C5-C6-C7 (3 disks) in Dec 2010 due to severe disk bulging against my spinal cord. I was not having any numbness, weakness or shooting pains in my arms, but was starting to have constant cervicogenic headaches so I opted to have the surgery.

Riding is actually one of the activities that helps my neck feel better. I get a sore neck when I drive my car or fly in an airplane but don't really notice it when riding. It must have something to do with the riding position vs sitting position in a chair. I have a windshield and lowers on my bike which helps keep the wind from beating my head around.

You are only 8 months post-surgery and your neck should feel better as time passes. For me physical therapy, routine light stretching and exercise has helped immensely. When riding, do you feel like you are straining to keep your head up?

Hope things improve for you.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bogies87

This isn't very encouraging. Same exact surgery I had. Prior to surgery I had no pain from riding. It was mostly work and day to day activities that caused pain. Right neck, shoulder, back spasms, and occasional numbness and tingling in my right arm. After the surgery the pain was gone. But the riding it what seems to bother me the most now. And as I said in my OP the riding pain is the opposite side that is was before surgery. And it gets worse the longer I ride. On the way back from Delmarva this weekend (2 hour ride) I was in so much pain by the time we got home I couldn't wait to get off the bike.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
kmealp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did they use in the fusion, your bone, dead man bone, or what. I had the same surgery was riding 6 weeks after it, ride with no windshield. At first i would get sore no real pain now once in awhile i get sore, its been a couple years now. Friend at work had same thing never got better, they did xray and found the bone used in the fusion did not take and dissolved. they had to get a second plate on the back of the neck.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Neck and back surgery isn't the cure. Sometimes you have to do it to solve some issues butit is usually a trade off for some other pain. The best thing you can do at this point is try some stretching exercises before you ride and then try different bars and seat combo's to find that right position that won't hurt so bad. When all is said and done, depending on your pain tolerance, you can try to ignore it and not let it beat you. I had back surgery 15 years ago because it was affecting my leg so bad it would give out. The surgery helped my leg but my back hurts more then it id before. I usually don't sleep more then 6 hours because it actually makes it worse.

Good luck

Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,445 Likes on 5,921 Posts

My word of advice to anyone considering neck/spinal surgery to do your research, and above all, pick a damn good Neurosurgeon.

On July 9, 2011, i blew a disc out in my neck between C4-C5. I had been hurting for several years from a bulging disc. I do concrete const and have always been pretty rough on my body, picking up heavy stuff, ect. The day the disc blew out and hit my nerve i experienced terrible pain in my left shoulder. Didn't have any idea it was a pinched nerve. After about a week of pain i noticed i was losing strength in my arm, and within another week i couldn't lift a glass of water over my head.

I diagnosed myself via the internet, went to a Neurologist who confirmed it and put me on a fast track for surgery, and i picked my Neurosurgeon after careful research.

I had Anterior Cervical Displacement and Fusion 2 months after my injury, so yea, my nerve had been pinched for 2 months, and i basically lost the use of my left arm.

When i woke up in recovery the pain in my neck was gone. My throat hurt like hell from everything being spread open (they go in from the front), but my pain was over. After exactly 1 year, and rehab to get my strength back, my arm is 98% back, and my range of motion in my neck is at least 95% despite have a titanium plate and 4 screws. Most of all, I'm pain free!!!

I don't wear a heavy helmet, and i ride the $hit out of my chopper, but enjoy the windshield on the Heritage better.

I would encourage everyone who's having this or contemplating this above all else BE PATIENT!!!! I thought i could just bounce right back in a month or so, and it isn't so. You might as well prepare for a full year to make a full recovery, at least in my situation.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by kmealp
What did they use in the fusion, your bone, dead man bone, or what. I had the same surgery was riding 6 weeks after it, ride with no windshield. At first i would get sore no real pain now once in awhile i get sore, its been a couple years now. Friend at work had same thing never got better, they did xray and found the bone used in the fusion did not take and dissolved. they had to get a second plate on the back of the neck.

Doner bone was used in mine. Have the titanium plate in the front. As I said my day to day pain and numbness is gone. The surgery was a success when it came to that. Range of motion is good too. But riding is the one activity that seems to cause pain now. I really hope it will pass in time.

Quick Reply: Post neck surgery riding pain????