General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with some tour plans for this june.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:25 AM
jmio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with some tour plans for this june.

I have an 06 electra glide standard, no radio, no tour pack, no cruise control. I am planning a trip to the west coast starting from tulsa. my plan is to go to san diego, up to oregon, over to montana, down to colorado, back to tulsa. will be taking my time, seeing as much as I can. Anybody have the "must do or see list" that you can recommend to me? I want to really get out and see the west coast. Been doing my research and asking around, so figured i could ask the experience on this forum.

so on with my dilemma, they no longer make the cruise control module for my year bike, so i was thinking of getting a throttle lock from kuryaken, like this:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/404...-Cruise-Assist

the cruise mate. anyone have experience with it?

as far as luggage goes, was just going to get a HD back rest with a luggage rack and grab a sissy bar touring bag from jafrum and put most of my stuff in there. Was going to put rain gear/riding gear and tools in right saddlebag, and the rest of my gear in left saddle bag, along with treats and beverages. I feel this would be a lot cheaper than getting a king tour pack. I can use the money I save with the back rest and use it towards some extra luxury hotels on my travels. lol

as of now, I use my iphone with sound isolating skull candy ear buds to do my music and GPS. It works just fine, I have a RAM mount for my iphone and just plug it in to the power source, left lower fairing. I figured this would be suffice for my trip and also save me a great deal of money compared to putting in the speakers and head unit. Although having satellite radio would be awesome. I just have pandora now and find it to fill all my music needs. So what do y'all think? does it sound like I have an ok start to a distant planned trip. Was thinking of doing this trip in June. taking most the month to do it. traveling 400 and greater miles a day. maybe less on the days that I have multiple sites to see. Was really just going to "go with the flow". only use the GPS to go see things I have planned along the way, and all the other times, just head down nice looking roads, Pointing west.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 AM
oldprowler
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know but it seems to me that IF you really intend to "take your time" and "see as much as you can" you will be not be cruising along the interstates. If that is the case, cruise control would be one of the last things I would be worried about.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

A couple of nice roads - 89A down to Sedona then on to Prescott through Jemone, CA-2 Angeles Crest Hwy, amazing mountain road ( use this as a detour to miss LA), NM-3 up towards Santa Fe, of course there are many more, but I did these roads in September on my Route 66 (with detours) ride.
Re tourpak, I dont have one, but purchasing one for my return trip next year, found a seller on ebay who does brand new HD copies for a very good price.

I do my route on Google maps and use street view to have a look at the roads/area before I go, also gonna to try the 'Route4Me' app on my iphone

Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,269 Posts

I have something real similar to that. I don't use it much. I like the ISO grips with the throttle boss on the end of it better. Seems to be enough to just rest your palm on it during long rides.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

montana-beartooth hwy. and glacier nat'l park
wyoming-chief joseph hwy. and yellowstone
colorado-hwy 550, estes park, pikes peak
lots of great riding in utah too

Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 AM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Taking Hwy 1 all the way up to Oregon? That wold be a must for me. I was just up in Northern California with my wife, and we really enjoyed Fern Canyon. All of the coast up there is beautiful. A bit gloomy when we went, but I think it adds to its mystique.

www.longrideshields.com

Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have something similar to the throttle lock you have listed there. first of all, that looks like a nice one, but there are several out there that are way cheaper. mine was $19 and as soon as got that one and put it on, i found one even cheaper that i liked even more. Found mine on ebay by the way.
Also, i don't like using mine much at all. just makes me a little nervous that the throttle is stuck on like that. i will use it if i need to free my right hand to do something and i use it for short periods to rest my right hand/arm if it gets tired, but only if it is along a pretty straight stretch where i can see a pretty good ways.
Enjoy your trip. sounds like a heck of a deal. We are thinking about trailering the bikes out to California and doing the coastal highway ride maybe this next summer.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by jmio
I have an 06 electra glide standard, no radio, no tour pack, no cruise control. I am planning a trip to the west coast starting from tulsa. my plan is to go to san diego, up to oregon, over to montana, down to colorado, back to tulsa. will be taking my time, seeing as much as I can. Anybody have the "must do or see list" that you can recommend to me? I want to really get out and see the west coast. Been doing my research and asking around, so figured i could ask the experience on this forum.

so on with my dilemma, they no longer make the cruise control module for my year bike, so i was thinking of getting a throttle lock from kuryaken, like this:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/404...-Cruise-Assist

the cruise mate. anyone have experience with it?

as far as luggage goes, was just going to get a HD back rest with a luggage rack and grab a sissy bar touring bag from jafrum and put most of my stuff in there. Was going to put rain gear/riding gear and tools in right saddlebag, and the rest of my gear in left saddle bag, along with treats and beverages. I feel this would be a lot cheaper than getting a king tour pack. I can use the money I save with the back rest and use it towards some extra luxury hotels on my travels. lol

as of now, I use my iphone with sound isolating skull candy ear buds to do my music and GPS. It works just fine, I have a RAM mount for my iphone and just plug it in to the power source, left lower fairing. I figured this would be suffice for my trip and also save me a great deal of money compared to putting in the speakers and head unit. Although having satellite radio would be awesome. I just have pandora now and find it to fill all my music needs. So what do y'all think? does it sound like I have an ok start to a distant planned trip. Was thinking of doing this trip in June. taking most the month to do it. traveling 400 and greater miles a day. maybe less on the days that I have multiple sites to see. Was really just going to "go with the flow". only use the GPS to go see things I have planned along the way, and all the other times, just head down nice looking roads, Pointing west.
I have Saddlemen BR1800 seat back / sissy bar bag that has held a week's worth of clean clothes and toiletries. It also has a built-in rain cover that's extremely easy to deploy. It's around $155 and well worth it!

If you don't make the left coast, try the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:06 PM
jmio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, I don't want to do interstates, I might have to when I get to arizona around the border. the routes that google maps has me going through mexico......no thanks! I am definitely wanting to ride the hwy 1 up to oregon. this is a trip to see where my next place of residence should be. That's why I'm taking my time and visiting as many smaller cities in suburbs as I can. I have lived all over the north and east coast. Living in Tulsa now and HATE it. Too many drug addicts and drunks here for my profession. ER nurse. Great job security, well until obama gets a hold of us, which should be soon! I am just goin to get the back rest and luggage rack from harley and mount a big ol bag with clothes in it!

Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

I like the throttle lock type of device, great for when you want to remove your hand for a short time (maybe a minute). I used the Vista Cruise brand before I got my Ultra. Honestly it was more convenient than the electronic cruise control (which I never have activated for extended times.
Another affordable addition is a throttle rocker. Lets you hold speed without squeezing the grip.

Quick Reply: help with some tour plans for this june.