General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Premium Air Horn

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Harley Premium Air Horn

Trying to make lemonade out of a lemon here. I have this horn on my bike and it appears to have literally rattled itself apart to the point of no longer working. I get an electrical buzz when I press the horn switch so I know the electrical still works. Someone suggested there is a seal inside the horn that will come apart and render the compressor inoperable. Whatever, I just want to remove the horn and troubleshoot taking it apart to see if can somehow repair. Harley has completely discontinued selling this horn or servicing it in anyway. The Dealer cannot even pull up the part number now so they have no online documentation they can give me.

Anyone out there still have the installation instructions they can share with me? Has anyone had any luck "repairing" this horn? I am told its actually a Stebel horn made for Harley and this is a common failure. Sadly I paid about 4 times more for this horn than a comparable Stebel. Sucked in again!

The part number for the horn is 69423-05 and the required installation kit is part number 69400-05A

thanks for your help in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Harley Premium Air Horn-horn.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 03:02 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

I saw a guy yesterday on an Electra Glide that had one on his bike. That thing was vibrating like crazy. It looked as if it would snap off any moment. Not surprisingly it crapped out on you.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:04 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by baka1969
I saw a guy yesterday on an Electra Glide that had one on his bike. That thing was vibrating like crazy. It looked as if it would snap off any moment. Not surprisingly it crapped out on you.
Yeah, its a real "shake and bake". Thanks for your help.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 PM
nc883
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&q...w=1152&bih=558

Like the 5th or 6th down from the top, says 'PDF"

Old 11-16-2012, 06:36 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do yourself a favor. Get rid of it and go with the Mini Beast Air Horn. I've had mine for a couple years now and I'm more than happy with it.

http://www.customlightingefx.com/Min...Air-Horns.html

You can find this horn other places but this is my friends Ken and Jamie from Ormond Beach Florida. Tell him JD from Mass sent you and he may either cut you a deal or charge you more! You never know! lol

Old 11-16-2012, 08:02 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by nc883
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&q...w=1152&bih=558

Like the 5th or 6th down from the top, says 'PDF"
Many thanks friend, just what I needed.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 PM
John L. Goldsmith
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 3 of these units on my 2007 Ultra and they ALL shock apart. I guess I am a slow learner. Harley does make another air horn unit that is quite expensive. I don't have enough courage to try another one.

The following users liked this post:
mxgod630 (12-12-2017)
Old 11-16-2012, 08:19 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

Back in the day, I bought an air horn from Pep Boys. I installed the compressor inside the right saddlebag, and routed the air lines through the bottom of the bag. I mounted the twin trumpets underneath, facing forward. I wired the unit to the handlebar horn switch.

I will tell you that thing was LOUD. One time I came up over a hill on a two lane road and about 1/4 mile ahead was a car about to enter the highway. I blew the horn and he/she lurched to an instant stop.

See the picture.

Attached Thumbnails Harley Premium Air Horn-1977-harley-davidson-electra-glide.jpg  
Old 11-17-2012, 11:02 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by John L. Goldsmith
I've had 3 of these units on my 2007 Ultra and they ALL shock apart. I guess I am a slow learner. Harley does make another air horn unit that is quite expensive. I don't have enough courage to try another one.
John, what other air horn does Harley offer? I see none. This POS cost over $200 cant imagine HD has something that costs MORE! Did you ever try to repair any of yours? Assuming from your post you did not.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
John, what other air horn does Harley offer? I see none. This POS cost over $200 cant imagine HD has something that costs MORE! Did you ever try to repair any of yours? Assuming from your post you did not.
I think you need to train your imagination a little more.

Quick Reply: Harley Premium Air Horn