General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had this problem with HD Financial?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
lovecheese45
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had this problem with HD Financial?

I purchased a Nightster on 26 Feb 13 from a private seller who had a lien on the bike through Harley Davidson Financial.

I was told it would be 10-14 days to get the title in the mail.

March 15 came around and I called HD Finance. They told me it's 10-14 business days. To process a bank wire I sent them. I was a little heated.

March 30th... Won't give me any information since I am not on the account holders account.

April 5th. Refuse to help me since I am not on the account.

The last message I got from the seller was today "Harley has received your money and sent the title out".. He does not feel comfortable giving me his SSN or account number to previous loan.

**I paid the loan off through a bank wire from my bank to HD financal so I KNOW they got the money.**

It has been well over the time for Harley to send me my title... I am not able to register the bike, therefore I am not able to ride it. Which really sucks.

Does anyone have any experience down this line? The county clerk today told me to hire a lawyer and go after the seller to get my money back... but I don't think it's the sellers fault. He has been nice and said he keeps calling Harley...

I'm extremely frustrated that I paid 6,000 dollars for this motorcycle and I cannot ride it.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:48 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is not a problem with HD. It is with the seller.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:58 PM
lovecheese45
Intermediate

How do I go around it to get the title? I have the bike in hand and Harley Davidson has my cash in their hand.

And the whole attorney thing seems a little far. It's annoying and I want to vent lol.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:15 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You should have been in communication with HD since the beginning and you should have made payment of the balance owing directly to HD.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:23 PM
lovecheese45
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lo-rider
You should have been in communication with HD since the beginning and you should have made payment of the balance owing directly to HD.
I did. I paid 6,000 for the bike. 3045.00 went directly to HD by wire and the other 2900 was written as a check to the person I bought the bike from. I knew better than to give him all the money and expect him to send the money.

I just really wish Harley could tell me where the title is... I have the bill of sale which was notarized by my bank when we did the transaction. Makes me upset it's 70 degrees and I'm still riding in my jeep!

Old 04-05-2013, 03:28 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
This is not a problem with HD. It is with the seller.

Since you are not on the loan account and the bike was not titled in your name originally once the loan is paid off, HD Financial (any financial institution really) will send the title to the name listed on it.

So, your seller should be the one getting the title back from HD.
Once he has it, then he will need to sign it over to you before you can register the bike in your name.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 PM
lovecheese45
Intermediate

He should have it by now though shouldn't he? I mean it's been well over a month. I know he's not to worried about it since he has the cash.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Wife bought a 2009 Softail Deluxe in 2009. We got a late payment notice after 4 months. She made the payment but HD finance said she didn't even though we had prof she made the payment on time. She ended up eating the over charge. Last May she sold the bike to a guy that lived 300 miles from us. She paid the note off and was told the same thing you were told. 4 weeks later she had the title in hand and mailed it to the guy that bought the bike. HD finance sucks from beginning to end.....

Trucky911

Old 04-05-2013, 04:07 PM
lovecheese45
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Trucky911
Wife bought a 2009 Softail Deluxe in 2009. We got a late payment notice after 4 months. She made the payment but HD finance said she didn't even though we had prof she made the payment on time. She ended up eating the over charge. Last May she sold the bike to a guy that lived 300 miles from us. She paid the note off and was told the same thing you were told. 4 weeks later she had the title in hand and mailed it to the guy that bought the bike. HD finance sucks from beginning to end.....

Trucky911

Wow. Now I know why they only had 2 stars on their reviews. I'm glad I never went with them! It seems like I'm going to have to find the seller and talk to him face to face again.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:31 PM
richards6402
Advanced
Default Been There...Done That!

About 2 months ago I purchased a bagger from an individual in Chicago who had it financed through HD Financial. I swore I would never do this again but it was too good of a bargain. I gave the guy in cash the difference and had a cashier's check made for the payoff to HD Financial AND the seller. We were told about 2 weeks. 2 weeks went by and I waited another week before I sent the seller a text. Fortunately he was a good guy and said he would call HD F. He got right back to me that it was sent the day before. I did received it from the seller within a week. But it actually took almost a month before I had it in hand. I know how you feel. I wanted to call and check on it also but would not be given any info. It is frustrating. Just try and stay in good graces with the seller. Yes, It would be a pain and cost some bucks getting a lawyer. Ultimately that is always a possibility down the road. My insurance company did insure it without knowing I did not have the title. So I did have my ins. card with me and my old license plates. Fortunately for me it was the same color of bike and only a year newer. I had my old registration with me too!! Anyway, I know how you feel. You are at their mercy. Eventually it works out. Lesson learned...do not buy unless they have title in hand! Maybe next time I will learn that. Be patient, you are at the early season of riding. ENjoy it when you do get it.

Quick Reply: Anyone had this problem with HD Financial?