General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hangers on a Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Jameson
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ape Hangers on a Fatboy

Alright i havent gotten my bike yet.The HD Dealer i bought it fromhas to ship it from Wisconsin, so I wont have it for a few more weeks. But i sat on another Fatboy at a nearby dealer and im not liking the stock handle bars. Im 6'2 and my arms are too low. Im not sure if i want 13" or 16" hangers on my bike, still deciding. My wife gave me the go ahead to order the parts to do it though. I was wondering if all my stock stuff (grips, brank/clutch handles, switches) will fit on 1.25" Bars? I know i need to extend the wiring and cables/lines but with all that fit on 1.25" bars? Also anyone know where i can get the extended stuff for a good price and what part numbers to ask for? Last question is..Where can i find a detailed write up on this type of install? Im new to motorcycles but im mechanically inclined and dont want to spend $1200 at HD to get em installed. Thanks for all the help, ill be sure to do my own write up with pics.
Jameson

Old 02-18-2007, 12:11 AM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ape Hangers on a Fatboy

FWIW,i'm 6'2" and put 12.5 wild1 chubbys on my fatty.As far as i'm concerned they are perfect.One of the best mods i have done to my bike.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:19 AM
plasmadaddy
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Ape Hangers on a Fatboy

I'm 6'3" and have 18"s on my scoot - really comfortable and arms are at the puuuuurfect height

Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 AM
kdoghouse454
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cable lengths for clutch,brake and throttle for 16" bars on a 95 softail? Anybody know

Old 02-16-2011, 11:11 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kdoghouse454
cable lengths for clutch,brake and throttle for 16" bars on a 95 softail? Anybody know
from experience just mock the bars up and measure exactly what you need.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 AM
georgemcghee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5'11" i have 16's on my fattie and they are perfect.

Attached Thumbnails  Ape Hangers on a Fatboy-new-look-apes-037.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 AM
ladyluck00
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
Yeah mock it up check out the LA choppers site they have some nice hefty bars that r tight heres a pic of my buddies bars but he went as far as having them engraved.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jameson
I was wondering if all my stock stuff (grips, brank/clutch handles, switches) will fit on 1.25" Bars?
Most 1.25" apes are reduced to 1" at the risers and at the ends to accomidate stock risers and controls. Description of the bars should indicate that they are.

I know i need to extend the wiring and cables/lines but with all that fit on 1.25" bars?
Yes.

Also anyone know where i can get the extended stuff for a good price and what part numbers to ask for?
Honestly, Dr V-Twin (Drew) is a sponsor and member on the forums. He can probably get you everything you need for a great price. He normally lurks around in the Softail section of the forums. Email him or call their shop for more information.

Last question is..Where can i find a detailed write up on this type of install?
First, invest in a service manual for your Fatboy, best $60 dollar investment you'll make. Second, try the search option for installing ape hangers. There have been many, many write ups on how it's done. The Softail section of the forums is a wealth of information. Lots of Fatboy/Deluxe/Heritage guys have done what you're about to do, and have the answer to most of your questions.

I'm 5'9", and went with the Wild 1's Chubby 12.5" apes. My arms are even with my shoulders. Could have just as easily gone with the 16's and been just as comfortable. Sit on the bike when you get it home, grab a broomstick, and have the wife measure up from the risers to the height's your considering and see how it feels.

Last edited by Weevil; 02-17-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 AM
DoubleJ74
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
Some good advice there...I did just that when I was trying to decide on what to get.

piece of 3/4 pvc pipe and a couple of 90º elbows are all you need.

I went with the 16" apes from Hill Country Customs. They have the cables already measured out for you, just let em know how tall your risers are.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

At 6'2" you really should seriously consider 16" or higher. I know a 5'4" girl with 18" apes on her Fatboy and she loves them. I'm 5'11" and I think 16" would be fine for me.

Quick Reply: Ape Hangers on a Fatboy