General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HF table lift fell over, with the bike on it

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default HF table lift fell over, with the bike on it

First time I have used the table lift. Have the 2011 FLHTK on it to remove wheels for tire replacement. Put it on 2 days ago, have a 6x6 under the rear of the frame to support it, ratchet straps on the front from the fork tie-downs to the lift. When I removed the rear tire, used scissor jack to raise front end and then blocked it with wood. Sat 2 days like that, raised to the highest level using the lock bar. Today put the front tire on, raising and lowering the bike on the lift with the scissor jack. Re-secured the front straps firmly, still have the original wheel vice on the lift. Install the rear tire, raise and lower the lift a couple time to get the tire on. Finishing everything up, just checked the tire pressure, sitting on a stool on the right side and the bike, with the lift attached tips over to the left. I had constructed 2'x6' by 6" high side extensions which were off to the side about 3'. Bike landed on the side extension and a roll of carpet against the wall still attached to the lift in the front with the ratchet straps. Saddle bags were off thankfully.

Twisted in the angled foot peg "bending" the left front lower. No other damage. I moved the peg back out and the lower sprung back into shape. It landed on the end of the left handle bar on the plywood, heated grip rheostat.

Pretty horrifying to watch the lift and bike fall over. Don't know how I lucked out that nothing was where the tank would be. Trying to figure how it could happen. Thinking that the wheel vice, yes it was tight, won't hold the bike up straight like a wheel chock. I have a wheel chock, the HF $35+- one, but since I was going to remove the front tire figured the vice would be easier. The lift didn't break, everything was sitting 90 degree to the floor. I used a sizzor jack to raise the bike on the lift for wheel removal and had just a few minutes before removed it. The jack would hold the bike level, with it gone, it allowed it to tip over. I also ran my front ratchet straps pretty much straight forward and down to secure the front. I need to add a corner tie-down hook so the front straps have side forces also. I had removed the rear straps since I was raising and lowering the bike for the rear tire install. Should have put them back on.

I also don't think I'll use the highest setting. Too top heavy center of gravity. I'll also leave the scissor jack in place until the bike is lowered, the side extensions are in place and the kick stand down. And I'll install the wheel chock and get rid of the vice.

So that's how my day went.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:46 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh man, sorry to hear that. You're lucky, it could have been much worse. I've always been leery of them myself. I could see how a 900 pound bike could fall over like that. I'll keep using my jack to lift my FLHTK.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:47 PM
milesvdustin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! Can you bolt the lift to the floor of the garage?

Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by milesvdustin
Ouch! Can you bolt the lift to the floor of the garage?
I suppose anything is possible but I'll take the precautions I listed.

And I'll lower it over night with at least 4 straps that have side pulling.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:02 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bolt it to the floor. Use lead shields in the floor and lag bolts. That way you can remove the lags to move it, and nothing will be sticking up. That's what I did with my chock.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:09 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

The wheel vise may or may not hold a bike in place. And once it starts going over it ain't stopping. What I've seen with mine is that the vise will do OK on a 19" wheel, but it just doesn't feel comfortable with a 16". Unless I'm using my home-made 2x8 or 2x10 jack-lift under the bike to do a wheel removal I always use the tie-downs.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 PM
dking909
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with IAMSWUTIANS - bolt that thing to the floor when you are using it. I have 4-1/2"anchors in the garage floor to bolt my chock down with. when i finish it all comes up and I put 1/2" button head bolts in to keep dirt out of the anchors. The round bolt heads are not a trip hazard.

Glad that it didn't cause any serious damage to your ride.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:28 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Just be glad YOU weren't injured when the bike tipped over.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:40 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A table lift just seems like the wrong tool for removing wheels. Isn't it a lot more cocking around than a simple MC jack?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:52 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I was expecting to read about a mini disaster but glad to hear you lucked out. I've never owned one of those type jacks but it seems that bolting it down would be mandatory especially with the bike being strapped to the lift which would make the whole assembly top heavy and prone to tipping.

Quick Reply: HF table lift fell over, with the bike on it