General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

confidence counts

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:43 AM
I'maHugger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confidence counts

I took and passed the MSF class three weeks ago and since then have still had numerous application type questions in my mind that have caused a bit of pause and reluctance ; yet yesterday I just had a "damn it and do it" notion and completed my first in traffic\long ride. It was exhilerating! I believe knowledge is crucial, yet confidence is just as important, trusting skillsets and trusting the bike equal enjoyment!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:25 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

The only way your confidence and skills will improve is to ride more. Knowledge is fine and necessary but gaining muscle memory through practice will enable you to use the bike to its potential.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:28 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Just take it slow and if possible, find someone with ample experience and watch and learn, ask more question. Ride like you have a target on you ... you do!!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:36 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old bikers and old Pilots have a lot in common. Survival is an art form. Practice it.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:50 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
The only way your confidence and skills will improve is to ride more. Knowledge is fine and necessary but gaining muscle memory through practice will enable you to use the bike to its potential.
So true! There's a left hand turn I have to do everyday coming home from work and it always gave me fits...scared me. And I used to turn like I was on ice. Now, I turn and shift going through it.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:25 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Accept the challenge and ride within yourself and you'll be fine.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Just ride. The course isn't the whole thing, it's a start for you to build on. You'll feel better and more confident with miles. Soon enough you'll be at the point where you should pull back from overconfident riding.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Accept the challenge and ride within yourself and you'll be fine.
SoCal, everytime I see your bike now I want a softtail. Looks nice man. But stop posting, I can't afford another bike right now. Lol

Old 07-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Waff
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember speed kills. Take it slow get some miles under your belt, but most importantly realize your new and don't exceed your abilities.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 PM
dragonflyrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a newbie riding too....today was my 3rd day out, and rode 134 miles on two rides today. I am still not great at 90 degree turns, and I take them pretty slow. i also did an S shaped ramp at 35 miles an hour for the first time today. My husband can do it at 50, laying it side to side pretty much- that still scares me, but I'm not driving like that!

Practice really does help and don't worry about speed! don't let vehicles push you either from behind, but if you really do need to let them by, then pull off and let them go. Each trip out, I'm doing things I haven't done yet. Tonight I had to come down a very steep hill, with a stop at the end. I actually did better than I thought I would.

Point is...get out there, keep your eyes peeled, and relax and enjoy the ride!

Quick Reply: confidence counts