General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 AM
flpete
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on oil cooler

Hey guys, I'm an old disabled fart on a fixed income and poor poor poor. Do ya feel sorry for me yet ??? (kidding) I have a like new 2006 softail deluxe coming up on 6000 miles. I love the bike and desire ti install an oil cooler. I live in florida and man its gets Hot. I do not have allot of money, I run mobil one 20-50 syn oil. Oil coolers are pretty pricey and i cannot afford what I really want which is an oilbud cooler which goes under the bike. That setup is about 600.00 ouch !!! I know Harley of jagg has a 10 row cooler with fan for about 400.00 still a buch of money as I have to eat. I like the idea of a fan as i spend allot of time in traffic and at lights. I need the most cost effective solution to keep the oil cool during the hot months. what say you ?? I want quality and to do the job only once.
Thanks in advance
kindly
flpete

Old 08-03-2013, 01:11 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Subscribed. I would also like a cost effective oil cooler.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:55 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

The three mentioned in the first post are all quality cost effective units. You must decide what your budget is. $400 for one with a fan that mounts in the path of the wind, or $600 for one that mounts under your bike, but can withstand a shotgun blast if you feel the urge to shoot something.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:41 PM
flpete
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I feel ya WI.....

and then some........... but I am rather green here.. Just want the best for my harley... as she is going to be my steed for a very long time .....
kindly
flpete

Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep an eye on the classifieds here..they show up every so often as folks upgrade

Old 08-04-2013, 09:25 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I have the 107 so bike gets hot. I have the Jagg oil cooler with fan. But if I am in heavy traffic (which is always), the bike will overheat. Now will install a Lenale cooling fan, which is a lot cheaper. Both have pros/cons so do some research on the cooling fan.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:37 PM
In2It
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from the Lenale cooling fan I ran one for a summer and didn't help much,then I replaced it with a wardswerks FCS cooling fan. Hes a member and sponsor here do a search.Much better product and great reviews.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:56 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

First of all, ask the questions to FLPete! Does he stand many times still with running engine or does he ride a lot in the hot temperatures? This is the main question for several hundreds of dollars difference. I can compare rather well. I live in Saudi Arabia as a westerner and ride here as well as I did 12,000 miles per year in entire Europe, including the hot Mediterenian countries. I had a V shaped oilcooler of two hundred buks, sufficient for the Mediterrenian. Oil temperatures ot 230-240 F with 2 persons and luggage on the Heritage Classic 2003 with 88B carburated engine. Here, with only one at the bike the ambient temperatures reached 100 F and over reguraly. With 2 on the bike the oil plummited to 260-270 with European oil cooler. I mounted a 10 row vertical JAGG and my oil temperatures are never exceeding 235F anymore. Also in city traffic it teaches as maximum 240F and not a single degree higher. The costs of this JAGG? I considered it at US $ 240 or so, additional costs of UPS to Saudi and import duties here raised the costs to just over 300 $ US. Purchased at JP Cycles..Why more expensive when cheaper is possible, but you have to consider first your circumstances of temperatures, routes etc.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:21 AM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I can tell you not to get the harley brand oil cooler. I got it and my oil temps stayed exactly the same. They actually went up first due to poor oil flow. I took the thermostat out and that fixed the poor flow but oil temps went back to where they were before the cooler was installed. For the same price I could have gotten the FCS cooling fans, live and learn I guess. Due yourself a favor though and check out the FCS fan before you drop any money on a oil cooler.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:43 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Well, didnt know about the FCS fan option until after I had ordered the Lenale. I do know that when I use it, its a loud and puts a lot of air out. I had it wired so that the switch turns both fans on (on the oil cooler as well). When sitting in a lot of traffic, my right leg will burn. Not sure about the longevity, but will see.

Quick Reply: Need advice on oil cooler