General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Ride shields windshield question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts
Default Long Ride shields windshield question

Sorry for the long post...

I currently have the standard HD compact windshield and am wanting to put a bigger windshield on to block some more wind. I read on here about long ride shields with the recurve and how can get a recurve windshield thats 2 inches shorter than what you need and it will block more wind than the taller shield because of the recurve. I have my current windshield(18 inches from the top of the headlight cutout) as high as I can put it on the forks and the top of the shield is right about nose/mouth level. At this position the top of the headlight cutout is about 2-3 inches above the headlight. LRS sells a recurve shield that will fit my brackets but they said the tallest recurve they have is 17 1/4 inches tall. A rep from LRS is said that even with the recurve that I will still need the top of the shield to be nose/mouth level. Is this true or will I be able to use the 17 1/4 inch recurve(only 3/4 inch shorter than my current shield) and get less wind buffeting then my current windshield due to the recurve? Hopefully yall understand all that lol

Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Alamomann
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
Sorry for the long post...

I currently have the standard HD compact windshield and am wanting to put a bigger windshield on to block some more wind. I read on here about long ride shields with the recurve and how can get a recurve windshield thats 2 inches shorter than what you need and it will block more wind than the taller shield because of the recurve. I have my current windshield(18 inches from the top of the headlight cutout) as high as I can put it on the forks and the top of the shield is right about nose/mouth level. At this position the top of the headlight cutout is about 2-3 inches above the headlight. LRS sells a recurve shield that will fit my brackets but they said the tallest recurve they have is 17 1/4 inches tall. A rep from LRS is said that even with the recurve that I will still need the top of the shield to be nose/mouth level. Is this true or will I be able to use the 17 1/4 inch recurve(only 3/4 inch shorter than my current shield) and get less wind buffeting then my current windshield due to the recurve? Hopefully yall understand all that lol
Hmmm... That's not what James at LRS told me about windshield sizes. Here's his response to a question about what size I should get (I'm about 6'3" and the HD stock shield hits me just below the nose level):

"I would stick with our 20" shield. It actually measures 19.5" so it will be a bit shorter than yours, which will bring the top of the shield to upper lip level. This is where you want our shield to line up. The re-curve at the top of our shield will push the wind up and over your head and rid you of buffetting."

I ended up buying the 20" clear recurve. Should be here tomorrow or Friday at the latest.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 6'2" I went with the 20" and it ended up lower than the stock shield with no noticeable buffeting. I also went with the light tint as I felt it is a good idea to see through the shielde close up for obstructions on the road/shoulder when I'm riding the twisties in twilight situations.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

I have no idea of the make or model or height, but I have a recurve on my Street Glide that is about mouth high and I'm barely even in the breeze.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by kingomtn
At 6'2" I went with the 20" and it ended up lower than the stock shield with no noticeable buffeting. I also went with the light tint as I felt it is a good idea to see through the shielde close up for obstructions on the road/shoulder when I'm riding the twisties in twilight situations.
Sounds like we have the same shield. Did you notice a big difference in comparison to the stock shield?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:06 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Alamomann
Hmmm... That's not what James at LRS told me about windshield sizes. Here's his response to a question about what size I should get (I'm about 6'3" and the HD stock shield hits me just below the nose level):

"I would stick with our 20" shield. It actually measures 19.5" so it will be a bit shorter than yours, which will bring the top of the shield to upper lip level. This is where you want our shield to line up. The re-curve at the top of our shield will push the wind up and over your head and rid you of buffetting."

I ended up buying the 20" clear recurve. Should be here tomorrow or Friday at the latest.
I don't know if its the same guy, but I've also been talking to a guy named James and he told me that the tallest recurve shield they have that will fit my bike/current shield brackets is a 17 1/4 tall shield. I noticed you have a road king, maybe there is different sizes available for different models.

Originally Posted by kingomtn
How much lower/shorter was the recurve than your stock shield?

Since the tallest shield LRS is telling me is available for my brackets is 3/4 inches shorter than my current shield, I just want to make sure it will work before ordering one.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Alamomann
Tourer

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
I noticed you have a road king, maybe there is different sizes available for different models.
That certainly could be the difference.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:06 AM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member

Bump

Old 08-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Another advice may be to stick to a 20" windscreen but add wind deflectors to your front forks. In my case (I am 6'5'') all my noise was disappeared, my windshield worked better as it have ever done before. Because most of the wind you feel doesnot come from OVER the windscreen but underneath the windscreen, passing the headlight and turbulent along our upper body and your head. Just an experience from Holland, where 'wind' was invented..

Old 08-22-2013, 08:52 AM
obidio
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bart van der Meulen
Another advice may be to stick to a 20" windscreen but add wind deflectors to your front forks. In my case (I am 6'5'') all my noise was disappeared, my windshield worked better as it have ever done before. Because most of the wind you feel doesnot come from OVER the windscreen but underneath the windscreen, passing the headlight and turbulent along our upper body and your head. Just an experience from Holland, where 'wind' was invented..
What type (brand) of wind deflectors do you have on?

Quick Reply: Long Ride shields windshield question