General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25K Fuel Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts
Default 25K Fuel Filter Change

OK, so I went through the service manual and found out that I'm supposed to change the fuel filter for the 25 K service. Went to the local steal-er and couldn't get one over the counter, they were sold out. I'm guessing (hoping) that means everyone else is going to find this thread boring and old news.

Ordered one from Kutter HD on the Internet, received it a day ago, installed it (and a new fuel pressure regulator for good measure), that night and rode to work the next morning, yesterday. Unbelievable what a difference, I've done several mods but never something this easy or cheap ($15 for the filter) and gotten such a huge payback.

Yes the old filter was pretty black, but I never would have guessed that at 25 K. I've changed fuel filters on my Jeep and other vehicles at much higher miles and never noticed the kind of performance improvement that I did with this one.

Anyway, just sharing, if you're seeing performance drop off at higher RPMs, or pinging when you hit the throttle in higher gears at higher speeds, have a look at the fuel filter. It's fairly easy to change and pretty damn cheap.

t

Old 10-03-2013, 02:40 PM
ColoFXDC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My owners manual days to replace the fuel filter at 100,000 miles.

My advise is to use the newest corporate gas stations with the nice new fuel dispensers and tanks. The local "independent" non branded stations with older dispensers release a lot more contaminants into your tank as their stations aren't as well maintained and their underground tanks and piping are as old as time.

Note: this will be the only corporate entity I would suggest purchasing from. Their stations have clean bathrooms and their equipment dispenses clean fuel.

Buying the cheapest gas at the shittiest stations is probably your problem from your lack of longevity in your fuel filter.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only thought I would add is this: Use only pure gasoline (E-O) no ethanol added gas if it is available in your area. Your motorcycle will thank you.

"He Who Lives in Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca.1750's

Old 10-03-2013, 04:20 PM
doc ock
Road Master

Originally Posted by Str8chuter
The only thought I would add is this: Use only pure gasoline (E-O) no ethanol added gas if it is available in your area. Your motorcycle will thank you.
Not too many places have that anymore.
And my manual states to change every 25K miles as well. 2004 FLHTI. The second time I changed the filter I also changed the pressure regulator the plastic part it sits in and all the hoses.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Robottom
Road Master

Originally Posted by ColoFXDC
My owners manual days to replace the fuel filter at 100,000 miles.

My advise is to use the newest corporate gas stations with the nice new fuel dispensers and tanks. The local "independent" non branded stations with older dispensers release a lot more contaminants into your tank as their stations aren't as well maintained and their underground tanks and piping are as old as time.

Note: this will be the only corporate entity I would suggest purchasing from. Their stations have clean bathrooms and their equipment dispenses clean fuel.

Buying the cheapest gas at the shittiest stations is probably your problem from your lack of longevity in your fuel filter.

Absolutely not, the only gas that goes into my tank is Shell or Chevron, occasionlly Union 76.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Robottom
Road Master

Originally Posted by doc ock
Not too many places have that anymore.
And my manual states to change every 25K miles as well. 2004 FLHTI. The second time I changed the filter I also changed the pressure regulator the plastic part it sits in and all the hoses.

25 K is what mine says, no idea what other service manuals say.

There doesn't appear to be a regular interval for the pressure regulator, I just happened to look that up in the manual and figured it couldn't hurt.

Last edited by Robottom; 10-03-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Robottom
Absolutely not, the only gas that goes into my tank is Shell or Chevron, occasionlly Union 76.
Damn dude, how do you do that on the road?
100 miles from nowhere I get my gas wherever I can

Old 10-03-2013, 06:38 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Robottom
As I am a tanker driver and haul gas I can tell you that I haul the same gas from a Sinclair tank farm to all brands of gas stations. Just saying.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
As I am a tanker driver and haul gas I can tell you that I haul the same gas from a Sinclair tank farm to all brands of gas stations. Just saying.
And this doesn't even include the pipelines from Sinclair Oil Refinery in Sinclair, Wyoming that spread out throughout the country.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 PM
airchuk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn dude, how do you do that on the road?
100 miles from nowhere I get my gas wherever I can
Exactly. Try going out west or up into Canada. My choices were diesel or regular. Pick your poison.

Quick Reply: 25K Fuel Filter Change