General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gerbing liners???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:58 PM
see22ds
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gerbing liners???

Hey all...so i rode to work this morning and froze my butt off. So i am thinking about getting myself and the GF some Gerbing linners to battle the cold. Not cheap but i think a good investment.

My question is...how does this stuff get power to work? I looked at their website and saw rechargable battery info, but do they have it where you can plug it into an accessory charge port on the bike? Thanks in advancs for any info.

Mike

Old 10-16-2013, 07:16 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 965 Likes on 460 Posts

IMO, liners are the way to go, this way you have control over what kind of glove you want to wear over it.

For example, most heated 'gloves' don't make the gauntlet part of the glove very big or long, so that wind gets blown up the sleeve anyway and you still stay cold. They also aren't waterproof and/or windproof and can be bulky.

With liners, you can wear a heavy elkskin gauntlet from Fox Creek down to about 40 degrees F. If it'll be raining, wear a waterproof glove over them. Best thing though in cold weather...try not to go out in the rain (I ride all year because the bike is all I own, but if I can help it I won't ride in cold weather rain, say about 60 degrees and colder...it's just too painful).

Battery powered gloves, well I personally wouldn't have if you payed *me* to wear them. You're pretty well screwed if the battery happens to die on a cold 30 degree ride home of 40 miles. The price of the batteries will add up too.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 PM
pdfiddler
Tourer

I've got the Gebing gloves and there great and well worth the money.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 533 Posts

I've been trying to decide between heated grips or gloves . I like the idea of lighter gloves and heated grips as I did on my snowmobile , main difference is a bike is little effort to ride vs a snowmobile , if your riding that is. You generate enough body heat muscling a sled around that you wouldn't just hanging out in the wind on a bike. Makes me think Gerbings might be the way to go on a bike.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:55 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Heated Gear

All the Gerbing gear comes with a battery harness so it connects to your battery and is recharged while the engine is running. If you really want to be comfortable using it, you will need a controller to regulate the temperature. I have both gloves and a jacket liner. The liner keeps my core warm so my feet and legs don't get cold. You just have to wear a good under layer and windproof clothing on top. Heated grips keep your palms warm but heated gloves keep the back of your hands warm at the same time.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the heated gear last season, but found that I still didn't like riding in the cold. I sold it.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:01 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

For us cheeseheads it's a necessity. Cheryl and I have heated gear and use it all the time. It truly extends our riding season and makes even summer rides (when temps drop for whatever reason - altitude, rain, cold front, etc) more comfortable. Gerbings is great stuff. Make sure to phone your order in because they take your measurements and you get a custom fit. Not the case on line or in stores.

PS - you can get controllers for less. I see that Tourmaster has them (Revzilla?) for way less than the Gerbings . I have to believe they work as well as it's a simple electronic assembly.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Wife and I have had gerbing heated jacket liners for a couple of years and the Gerbing heated gloves for a year.

What a difference!

Before I would layer up, more and more layers as it got colder. Now I just throw on the gerbing and am good. So much easier AND warmer.

Before my wife would not ride in less than 55-60* temps. Now the ambient temps are a non-issue.

We have the battery harness that came with, as well as the dual temp controllers.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-17-2013, 08:26 AM
sobluemf
Cruiser

Dyna Rider, I believe your info is not correct. "All the Gerbing gear comes with a battery harness so it connects to your battery and is recharged while the engine is running." Dont think there is anything to recharge, it just heats up the wires in the gear.

They have two types of gear. One hooks up directly to your battery. I use the battery charger pig tail most dealers install.
The other has a battery pack that you have to charge but you have to use 110 not 12v. I see people use those hunting and fishing...

Check the site a little better or give them a call if you still have questions.

I can not live without my Gerbings ;-)

To Stopit, Man get the heated grips abd gloves the grips will heat the palms but the rest of your hands will be cold. I had heated grips on my last two bikes! I use the Gerbing gloves. So, if you have the gloves you dont realy need the heated grips. But man the HD heated grips work very well. They work way better than the BMW heated grips.

Have fun and stay warm! ;-)

Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 AM
see22ds
Tourer

Thanks Everyone, I do believe this is going to be so worth extending our riding season, not to mention having such gear available. Not cheap by any means, but then again what is these days?

Quick Reply: Gerbing liners???