General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do i have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 AM
07superglide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do i have?

First off I wasn't sure where to put this post,If its in the wrong place would the moderators please move it? Thanks!

OK,I picked up a 2nd bike in on a trade.Its titled 2001 Custom and the first letters on the engine block is GDVX and that's pretty much all I know about it.I figured I would post a few pictures of it and see if any of you long time Harley riders,mechanics or what have you might recognize something. There is also a couple pictures of the neck and backbone with the tank off.These about all the pictures I could find for now.Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I did find markings that it has Pro1 wheels,PM calipers,The upper triple tree also has Pro1 on it,didnt see anything on the rest of the front end.

Attached Thumbnails What do i have?-100_1581.jpg   What do i have?-100_1554.jpg   What do i have?-100_1580.jpg   What do i have?-100_1571.jpg   What do i have?-100_1572.jpg  

Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

According to those letters, the GDVX indicates that it is an FXDL (Dyna Low Rider) with a TC88 carbureted engine.

This link may help: http://www.techsweb.us/hdvin2001.html#2001

Nice bike. Others can chime in if I am wrong.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:32 AM
07superglide
Novice

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
According to those letters, the GDVX indicates that it is an FXDL (Dyna Low Rider) with a TC88 carbureted engine.

This link may help: http://www.techsweb.us/hdvin2001.html#2001

Nice bike. Others can chime in if I am wrong.
That helps a lot! Thanks!! From what I can gather from that wb page is the X would be the yr model? But I only seen numbers listed to figure out what year it is.Im still confused on that one.
Also I did find out it has a Revtec 6 spd transmission

Old 10-19-2013, 11:46 AM
07superglide
Novice

Now if I could find out what year model the motor is and what kind of frame it was would be outstanding!!

Old 10-19-2013, 01:12 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will give you all the info you need on the engine and bike by using the serial number.

Harley Davidson VIN Decoding:

First Digit:
Market Designation
1 = Domestic
5 = International

Second & Third Digit:
HD = Manufacturer and Make
Harley Davidson

Fourth Digit:
Motorcycle Type
1 = Heavyweight
2 = Middleweight
(901 cc and larger engine displacement)

Fifth & Sixth Digit:
Model Designation
BH = FXST – Softail Standard
BJ = FLSTC – Heritage Softail Classic
BK = FXSTC – Softail Custom
BL = FXSTS – Softail Springer
BM = FLSTF – Softail Fatboy
BN = FLSTN – Softail Deluxe
BP = FXSTSB
BR = FLSTS – Heritage Softail Springer
BS = FXSTD – Softail Deuce
BT = FXSTB – Softail Nighttrain
BV = FXSTI – Softail Standard (fuel injected)
BW = FLSTCI – Heritage Softail Classic (fuel injected)
BX = FLSTFI – Softail Fatboy (fuel injected)
BY = FLSTSCI
BZ = FXSTSI – Softail Springer (fuel injected)
CA = XL883
CJ = XL883 Custom
CG = XL1200 Custom
CL = XL1200 Roadster
CM = XL883L
DA = FLT 82-83
DA = FLHTP Police Windshield
DB = FLTC
DD = FLHT – Electra Glide
DH = FLTC w/ Sidecar
DJ = FLHTC
DK = FLTC Shrine
DM = FLTCU
DP = FLHTCU
EA = FXR
EB = FXRS
EC = FXRT
ED = FXRP Police Windshield
EF = FXRP Police Fairing
EG = FXRS-SP
EH = FXRD
EJ = FXRC
FB = FLHR-I – Road King (fuel injected)
FC = FLHTCU-I – Ultra Classic Electra Glide (fuel injected)
FD = FLHR – Road King
FE = FLTCU-I
FF = FLHTC-I – Electra Glide (fuel injected)
FG = FLHTCU-I – Ultra Classic Electra Glide w/ Sidecar (fuel injected)
FH = FLHP-I Police
FJ = FLHP Police
FK = FLHTC-I Shrine
FL = FLHTCU-I Shrine
FM = FLHTP-I Police
FN = FLHPE (Japan)
FP = FLTR – Road Glide
FR = FLHRC-I – Road King Classic (fuel injected)
FS = FLTR-I – Road Glide (fuel injected)
FT = FLHPE-I
FV = FLHT-I
FW = FLHR-I Shrine
FX = FLHRS – Road King Custom
FY = FLHRS-I – Road King Custom (fuel injected)
GD = FXDL – Dyna Lowrider
GE = FXDWG – Dyna Wide Glide
GG = FXDS Convertible
GH = FXD - Dyna
GJ = FXDX – Super Glide
HA = VRSCA – V-Rod
JA = FXSTB-I – Softail Nighttrain (fuel injected)
JB = FXSTD-I – Softail Deuce (fuel injected)
JD = FLSTN-I – Softail Deluxe (fuel injected)
SG = TLE Police
SH = RLE Police

Seventh Digit:
Engine Type
A = VRSCA 98 HP HDI only V = Carbureted
W = Fuel Injected

Z = VRSCA Eighth Digit:
Introduction Date & Special Models
1 = Regular Intro Date
2 = Mid-year Intro Date
3 = California Model
4 = Anniversary Model

Ninth Digit:
VIN Check Digit
Varies; can be 0 through 9, or X.

Tenth Digit:
Model Year
L = 1990
M = 1991
N = 1992
P = 1993
R = 1994
S = 1995
T = 1996
V = 1997
X = 1998
Y = 1999
Z = 2000
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
3 = 2003
4 = 2004
5 = 2005
6 = 2006
7 = 2007

Eleventh Digit:
Assembly Plant
Y = York, PA
K = Kansas City, MO

Twelfth Digit - Seventeenth Digit:
Serial Number

The following users liked this post:
garretttl@aol.com (05-28-2016)
Old 10-19-2013, 03:37 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Not sure what it is but it looks nice.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:15 PM
07superglide
Novice

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
Not sure what it is but it looks nice.
Thanks! From what I gather,It is titled 2001 Custom has a 1998 Dyna Lowrider,Carbed Twin Cam 88ci engine(upgrades/modifications unknown) with a Revtec 6spd trans..Unsure of the manufacture of the frame..It kinda looks like a cross breed of a softail from the seat and fake oil tank but has rear shocks like a Dyna.

Does anyone know if those motors came stock with a Mikuni carb on them? I have many yrs of stock and performance expeiriance with cars but not much with bikes,esp Harley's..Im thinking someone has done some engine upgrades on this thing and its the stock carb and possibly did some rejetting but may have the floats set to low,if these carbs even has floats?? Or if maybe the carb is just to small for the motor now? The reason I say this,Under normal driving conditions the bike runs great but if you twist on the throttle and try running through the gears,say starting 1/4 throttle in first gear,full throttle into through first into second and by the time you hit third or shortly after the bike starts spiting and sputtering like its running out of gas.You can pull the clutch in let it coast providing you don't run it hard enough to completely cut off it will clear up and then run fine as long as you take it easy on it..Thats what gives me the idea that it is running the fuel bowl out of gas and needs to fill back up then runs fine again or the carb is just to small if the floats are set to spec..Can anyone shed any light on that problem please?The motor is no slouch and will actually turn the crap out of the 180 tire on the back if you clutch it in first and twist the throttle and dump the clutch,providing it don't get to much traction and stand straight up on me .I didn't know what year or motor to try to do research on to figure out any specs on trying to check the float level or finding out if it is the original carb on it..Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as well..Who knows I might have a beast of a motor waiting to be turned loose by getting enough fuel inot the carb or benefiets or getting more air and more fual into the engine by going to a bigger carb...?? What ya'll think??

Old 10-20-2013, 01:18 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 304 Likes on 185 Posts

07superglide, below is part of page 36 from the 1999 H-D owner’s manual I received when I bought my 99 FXST new from the Harley dealer.

On your engine:
GD = FXDL = Dyna Low Rider
V = engine type = Twin Cam 88 (88 cubic inches). Elsewhere in my owner’s manual it states that V also indicates carbureted as opposed to fuel injection which would apparently be represented by the letter W.
X = model year = 1999 (Sometimes the model year is indicated by a letter and sometimes by a number.)

X indicating 1999 as the model year can be further confirmed by my own bike. My engine VIN begins with BHLX (FXST, Evo, 1999). I bought the bike new as I mentioned above and it has been in my possession the entire time since I purchased it. It has the original factory-applied VIN. An X for model year 1999 is also clearly marked on the steering head as part of my frame VIN and on the frame it is the tenth of seventeen characters as it should be.

My 99 model still has its original carb and it is a CV. Regarding your calipers, PM may indicate Performance Machine as the manufacturer. Sorry but I don’t recognise your frame apart from it appearing to be aftermarket/custom.
Eric

Old 10-20-2013, 07:48 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 07superglide
Thanks! From what I gather,It is titled 2001 Custom has a 1998 Dyna Lowrider,Carbed Twin Cam 88ci engine(upgrades/modifications unknown) with a Revtec 6spd trans..Unsure of the manufacture of the frame..It kinda looks like a cross breed of a softail from the seat and fake oil tank but has rear shocks like a Dyna.

Does anyone know if those motors came stock with a Mikuni carb on them? I have many yrs of stock and performance expeiriance with cars but not much with bikes,esp Harley's..Im thinking someone has done some engine upgrades on this thing and its the stock carb and possibly did some rejetting but may have the floats set to low,if these carbs even has floats?? Or if maybe the carb is just to small for the motor now? The reason I say this,Under normal driving conditions the bike runs great but if you twist on the throttle and try running through the gears,say starting 1/4 throttle in first gear,full throttle into through first into second and by the time you hit third or shortly after the bike starts spiting and sputtering like its running out of gas.You can pull the clutch in let it coast providing you don't run it hard enough to completely cut off it will clear up and then run fine as long as you take it easy on it..Thats what gives me the idea that it is running the fuel bowl out of gas and needs to fill back up then runs fine again or the carb is just to small if the floats are set to spec..Can anyone shed any light on that problem please?The motor is no slouch and will actually turn the crap out of the 180 tire on the back if you clutch it in first and twist the throttle and dump the clutch,providing it don't get to much traction and stand straight up on me .I didn't know what year or motor to try to do research on to figure out any specs on trying to check the float level or finding out if it is the original carb on it..Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as well..Who knows I might have a beast of a motor waiting to be turned loose by getting enough fuel inot the carb or benefiets or getting more air and more fual into the engine by going to a bigger carb...?? What ya'll think??
Mikuni is not stock on HD's. The carb has been replaced.

A little hard to read, but if it's sputtering at full throttle, the main jet is probably too small. If it's in the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle range, you need to raise the needle. If I'm reading correctly your main jet is too small as it's missing at full throttle. Try going up a size.

All carbs have floats...but I don't think that's your problem. The Mikuni is a fine carb, you just need to get the jetting right. Mikuni tuning parts are readily available.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:17 AM
07superglide
Novice

Thanks! To the both of you!! On correcting the yr model and on the info about the carb.Looks like im going to have to find out for sure what Mikuni carb is on this thing and do some research on it and see if I can get this thing running like it should. Thanks again to the both of you!!
Paul

Quick Reply: What do i have?