General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honeymoon Harley Dealer, in Cancun!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Jason Oates
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Honeymoon Harley Dealer, in Cancun!

So I'm out here in gorgeous Cancun Mexico and thought that I'd visit the local Harley dealership, attached to a local mall. (??) It's the smallest dealership I've seen, with maybe seven bikes inside and out, and mostly just a smaller shop for some tourist items. The biggest surprise for me....none of it is inexpensive!! Come on, I finally get down here with some spending money to load up on some awesome gear but it's the same damned price, if not a few dollars more, of the same items. Ugh. Aren't some of these items made in Mexico anyways? (And I'm not going to venture out into the hills to maybe get a deal, with my beautiful farmers-tan as it is I wouldn't last too long.)

Anyways, long story short, I bought a shirt anyways (gotta get at least something, right?) but it was neat to see a different type of dealership.

Anyone have any similar experiences, good or bad, while on vacation?

Old 10-20-2013, 10:27 AM
BuckeyeMan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been to that store before. Not much of a dealership. Just good for a shirt or so. And like you said expensive at that. Kills time while wifey shops.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:56 AM
timfromfc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in Cancun this summer and was surprised to see that nothing was particularly inexpensive.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:25 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 972 Likes on 735 Posts

That's their way of making the tourists feel at home. Once you get outside of the cities and tourist traps things and food cost a lot less.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's how it is in MX. Luxury foreign items are as expensive or more. They are catering to the upper/rich class who can afford to pay. MX has a very wealthy and opulent upper crust with money to burn and will pay for these status items. Stores and shops like the one you were in do not cater to 95% of the population. No campesino (or visiting tourist for that matter) is ever going to buy a Harley and everyone knows it. That shop is for the local rich crowd.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:25 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

It caters to wealthy Americanos on vacation which means it won't be cheap. SJ Ron

Old 10-20-2013, 01:36 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,020 Likes on 17,513 Posts

Last time I was in Cancun the Harley boutique was wanting up around $75 a tee , old lady was wanting to surprise me till she saw those tags . Was worth a good laugh .

Old 10-20-2013, 01:50 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

They charge those prices because they know people will pay. Me not so much.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:31 PM
_Daswine_
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Went to different dealerships in Bali, Jakarta and Bangkok the shirts are about $50 and the bikes are 1 1/2 times more then They are here in the states. The import taxes kill it, used bikes are fetching a pretty penny as well! I rented one in Pattaya Thailand, $130 a say and had to put up $800 in cash..... It was a blast ripping through the country side.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,020 Likes on 17,513 Posts

Originally Posted by _Daswine_
Went to different dealerships in Bali, Jakarta and Bangkok the shirts are about $50 and the bikes are 1 1/2 times more then They are here in the states. The import taxes kill it, used bikes are fetching a pretty penny as well! I rented one in Pattaya Thailand, $130 a say and had to put up $800 in cash..... It was a blast ripping through the country side.
Moscow they wanted $600 a day for a bike , got my first & only ride on a Ural there instead .

Quick Reply: Honeymoon Harley Dealer, in Cancun!