General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to understand

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Trying to understand

First off let me say this site has been great. I’ve saved a ton of money when it comes to problems and solutions on my scooter. The only problem I have is, understanding some of responses people give that have absolutely no value. I’ve been reading about the leaky cooling systems and the recall 2014 clutch problems. Some of the responses are suck it up, quit whining, stop complaining, what in the world are these guy’s thinking when they make a comment like that. I don’t have a new 2014 waterhead, but I do own a couple of 2012 baggers. How in the world can you not feel for the people who bought these new bikes, and have all this trouble? What do you mean you wouldn’t by a first year production bike, these twin cam bikes have been around since 1999, all they did was liquid cool the heads. What!! They couldn’t test them longer, instead of pushing them on the consumers. Same with the hydraulic clutches, they been around for years. We’re not talking a little glitch in a small percentage of bikes here, this is huge ! Sure other manufactures have their problems, but not to this magnitude. So I guess what I’m saying is, it’s really to bad that this had to happen to what everyone would call the brotherhood, but why add to the situation and have no compassion for the ones that got stuck with this problem.
Just Saying, Jonnierock

Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Some people are like my boss...when you call in sick, he listens to who's calling and then stops the message because he doesn't care why. Maybe these people read some are having a problem and then cut them off by their wise butt remarks. That's just my guess.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 AM
rleedeuce
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

It is considered very macho to tell someone to "suck it up." Could it possibly be that some of us Harley guys are a little bit macho? Hmmmmm. Let me think.

Meanwhile you were expecting a socio-economic discussion of the finer points regarding financial implications of new product development shortcomings? Hahahaha.

Good luck wit dat s*it.

Just sayin.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd guess most didn't want those "improvements" or even see them as an improvement.
So they aren't going to have sympathy for someone they don't actually know who liked the changes and have to wait for fixes.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:10 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
I'd guess most didn't want those "improvements" or even see them as an improvement.
So they aren't going to have sympathy for someone they don't actually know who liked the changes and have to wait for fixes.
I think that's definitely a factor. There were a lot more changes than just adding water cooling to the heads. Some of us go back to what our Dads told us - never buy a first year release. Not that I'm happy about it. I wish everyone the best with whatever bike they choose. But, we were verbal about our skepticism of the design and the high price despite the growing list of cost savings moves by the Moco. So forgive us if we throw a "Told ya" out there.

The problems will get resolved and the bikes will be great rides I'm sure. My hope is that once the wrinkles are ironed out, owners of the 2014s will have many trouble free miles.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:44 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by JONNIEROCK
First off let me say this site has been great. I’ve saved a ton of money when it comes to problems and solutions on my scooter. The only problem I have is, understanding some of responses people give that have absolutely no value. I’ve been reading about the leaky cooling systems and the recall 2014 clutch problems. Some of the responses are suck it up, quit whining, stop complaining, what in the world are these guy’s thinking when they make a comment like that. I don’t have a new 2014 waterhead, but I do own a couple of 2012 baggers. How in the world can you not feel for the people who bought these new bikes, and have all this trouble? What do you mean you wouldn’t by a first year production bike, these twin cam bikes have been around since 1999, all they did was liquid cool the heads. What!! They couldn’t test them longer, instead of pushing them on the consumers. Same with the hydraulic clutches, they been around for years. We’re not talking a little glitch in a small percentage of bikes here, this is huge ! Sure other manufactures have their problems, but not to this magnitude. So I guess what I’m saying is, it’s really to bad that this had to happen to what everyone would call the brotherhood, but why add to the situation and have no compassion for the ones that got stuck with this problem.
Just Saying, Jonnierock
Nobody's stuck with a problem. The new bikes are under warranty and they'll be fixed. As for compassion, mine goes to the people who are working their asses off just to survive and could never even dream of owning a $20,000.00 motorcycle.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,787 Likes on 6,213 Posts

If you don't agree that the engineering changes are necessarily an improvement in efficiency or performance, you speak up.

But mostly...it makes us feel better about our old stuff.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 PM
OLDDEADEYE
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have two friends who are now thanking them for advising them to wait at least a half model year to let Harley work the bugs out of Rushmore. I don't feel much compassion for anyone that has the coin to buy one of these new bikes, well knowing they should wait until the bugs get worked out.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:59 PM
lowend73
Tourer

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OLDDEADEYE
I have two friends who are now thanking them for advising them to wait at least a half model year to let Harley work the bugs out of Rushmore. I don't feel much compassion for anyone that has the coin to buy one of these new bikes, well knowing they should wait until the bugs get worked out.
It is their money, and how they choose to spend it is up to them. I don't understand the dislike for someone that has the cash and chooses to spend it on what they want. What do you care?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:46 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JONNIEROCK
Just Saying, Jonnierock
BAH, it's the nature of people so, suck it up and deal with it, ya' whiner!

Seriously, who knows why people are so quick to dis others or dismiss their problems? Jealousy, having a bad day, sick of hearing the same **** - who knows? Don't let it get to you, though. When you have this many members and personality types, you're gonna' hear/see a lotta different opinions & attitudes - you kinda' have to expect it.

Quick Reply: Trying to understand