General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Killer Morning Sun

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 PM
scott504
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Killer Morning Sun

Anybody else having an issue with the suns position in the sky now that fall is here? My morning commute was brutal today with suns angle creating an almost blinding glare.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:19 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Not this year but 10 years ago ,coming home from a ride up north,heading west into a sunset on lake Ontario.I was riding on a road with 45 mph turns very close together.Coming into the first turn,I was absolutely blinded,had no idea where the road was.I tried to guess where the road was and braked as hard as I could.Scary,My buds following me wondered what the heck I was doing,jamming on the binders, until they got to the same spot(going slower).
I think I had read about this happening in a Rider mag safety articles many years before,but I never saw this coming.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:30 PM
rgb66
Club Member
Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

The story of my life twice a year. Spring and fall I make it a point to change my commute so my sun worship is not so brutal. (even worse is that I get it on both the morning and afternoon commute)

Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01fxdxt
Not this year but 10 years ago ,coming home from a ride up north,heading west into a sunset on lake Ontario.I was riding on a road with 45 mph turns very close together.Coming into the first turn,I was absolutely blinded,had no idea where the road was.I tried to guess where the road was and braked as hard as I could.Scary,My buds following me wondered what the heck I was doing,jamming on the binders, until they got to the same spot(going slower).
I think I had read about this happening in a Rider mag safety articles many years before,but I never saw this coming.
Move to the other side of town.

This is why I will never live west of where I work. Always live east of work....sun is always behind me morning and evening during the work week.

Seriously, last time I switched jobs I had to move

Old 10-21-2013, 08:58 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I have an issue with the sun raising and setting, no matter what season it is, if it's in my eyes. I have a tinted face shield but the sun still shines in my eyes.

The only alternative is putting my left hand up and blocking it or putting my head down and making my helmet a visor.

I wish my face shield had a black section at the top, to help block it and have thought about painting one. But I'm worried about screwing it up.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:44 PM
cb7263
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sun? Our Forecast for the last week was foggy mornings and sunny afternoons with temps in the low 60's. PERFECT riding weather, right? Well, Mr. Sunshine has stayed well above all the fog that just won't go away. So no, the sun has not been bothering me, although I wish it was.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:25 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by scott504
Anybody else having an issue with the suns position in the sky now that fall is here? My morning commute was brutal today with suns angle creating an almost blinding glare.
Great looking WG, man.

Here in L.A., the sun falls right into my face most of my trip home. I actually stop at the gym half way to let it go down and the traffic to clear up.

My 7Eye Bali glasses have been a godsend. They tint with the sun. Are clear at night too, so can be worn anytime.

In tandem with the 7Eye glasses, I keep the shield down on my Arai Signet Q. It's a clear shield, but it deflects some of the sun as well.

Good luck on a solution that works for you.

Attached Thumbnails Killer Morning Sun-p.jpg   Killer Morning Sun-arai-signet-q-target-2_detail.jpg  

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 10-21-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I too used to suffer with sun that was low on the horizon.

Here's what I do and it works great. I have one of these half helmets with a retractable shield...

I put a strip of black electrical tape along the bottom edge of the visor. When the sun is in my eyes I simply pull it down enough to block the sun from my eyes, much like the sun visor in a car. When it rains I pull it down all the way and the black tape strip is below my line of vision.

I always wear sunglasses regardless of the position of the visor.

Hope this helps, I've shown my setup to lots of people and they are usually thrilled with the simple solution. Btw, doesn't matter what kind of visor you have.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:07 AM
dking909
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chickinonachain - Saw your comment about painting a strip on your shield. How about using a window tint film. Just an idea.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Living a bit further north than you, I have this problem for a good ***** of the year. I found a perfect solution which is fitted to both my open face and modular helmets. It's from an outfit called Sunax, and it's a piece of mirrored plastic that slips between the shell and liner of most any lid. It sits above your eye line, but you can see through it if you tip your head. I hardly ever wear sunglasses any more.
http://www.sunax.de/en/photos?page=1

Quick Reply: Killer Morning Sun